This made me sick to my stomach this morning,,,,,,,,,,,, WHY

misfish

Getting the toon prepped for the open water season, I heard this on the radio. I was so sadden to hear of a young child lost. Then heard the charge of impaired. WHY??????????? Im am still so pissed at this guy. This was a senseless death, of a young child. :(

http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/eight-year-old-boy-dies-after-canoe-capsizes-near-bracebridge-1.3360527

Eight-year-old boy dies after canoe capsizes near Bracebridge
image.jpg

The Canadian Press
Published Saturday, April 8, 2017 12:44PM EDT

Police say an eight-year-old Huntsville boy has died and a man is facing charges after a canoe capsized in the Muskoka River on Friday.

Ontario Provincial Police say the canoe overturned near High Falls in Bracebridge, Ont., and both people in the canoe -- the man and the boy -- were thrown into the river.

When officers got to the scene, the man, who is a family friend, said he didn't know where the boy was.

OPP say that although the boy was wearing a life-jacket, he had gone over the waterfall.

Emergency crews tried CPR, and took the boy to the hospital, but he later died of his injuries.

Investigators say 37-year-old Toronto man has been charged with impaired operation of a vessel causing death, and care and control over 80 milligrams.

He's scheduled to appear in a Bracebridge court on May 9.

Edited by Misfish

Why? I'm afraid I can't tell you why stupid people make stupid decesions Brian, but I can tell you the wrong person paid the ultimate price in this case. Sad indeed.

I could only think of this being me with one of my grandchildren. Never happen. As much as my one granddaughter ( the fisher girl ) kept bugging the crap out of me to go ice fishing this pass season, I said no. Not that I would be drinking, as the ice conditions were not safe IMO to take a young one out on.

Edited by Misfish

i think this would be a good time to remind people

What are the penalties for impaired boating?

Boaters caught drinking and boating in Ontario face consequences similar to those for drinking and driving:

• Immediate 3, 7 or 30 day driver's licence suspension if caught with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) in the "warn range” of 0.05 to 0.08 and for drivers impaired by drugs or a combination of drugs and alcohol based on the results of a Standard Field Sobriety Test. Drivers caught in the "warn range" more than once will face a mandatory alcohol education program and could be subject to treatment programs and ignition interlock.
  • Immediate 90-day administrative driver's licence suspension and a $198 administrative fine for boaters exceeding the “legal limit” of 0.08 BAC drivers who fail or refuse to provide a breath or blood sample and drivers who are impaired by drugs or a combination of drugs and alcohol based on the results of a Drug Recognition Expert evaluation.
  • If convicted under the Criminal Code, the boater will also face:
    • Driver's licence suspension, from one year up to a lifetime ban
    • Mandatory alcohol assessment, education or treatment, and follow-up
    • Ignition interlock condition on their driver's licence for one year to up to a lifetime
    • Vehicle impoundment if caught driving a motor vehicle while under suspension

These sanctions apply to anyone who is caught drinking and operating motorized and non-motorized vessels, including power boats, canoes, kayaks, personal watercraft, sailboats, rafts, dinghies and other inflatable boats.

Since I have owned a boat of my own I have taken the position of Captain very seriously. No Alchohol or person under the influence is allowed in my boat. My sincerest condolences to all family members .

Where were this child's parents?

When my kids were of that age and older; there was no way in hell that I would allow anyone to take my kids out on a river, above a water fall. Especially on an all but freezing, likely fast moving spring run off river.

I'm not defending this guy who took the kid out; he was wrong and yes he was legally impaired. That means he could have had 2 beers in him; are you physically impaired or legally after 2 beers?

Regardless it is very sad that a child has died; it could and should have been prevented. Again where were the parents; the people who are the ultimate care givers for the child?

Dan.

Where were this child's parents?

When my kids were of that age and older; there was no way in hell that I would allow anyone to take my kids out on a river, above a water fall. Especially on an all but freezing, likely fast moving spring run off river.

I'm not defending this guy who took the kid out; he was wrong and yes he was legally impaired. That means he could have had 2 beers in him; are you physically impaired or legally after 2 beers?

Regardless it is very sad that a child has died; it could and should have been prevented. Again where were the parents; the people who are the ultimate care givers for the child?

Dan.

Lack of respect for the situation IMO. You're taking a young child out in early spring in a canoe, maybe a good time to stay away from the booze. Same with ice fishing with young kids - fun, but again, a good time to stay away from the booze. Can't imagine taking my kids, let alone someone else's kids, out in a canoe in cold water after drinking. Guy also apparently said he didn't know where the child was, which I still can't get my head around.

I wouldn't be out on the water in a canoe at that time a year, whatever thought process went into this decision was a bad one. I can't imagine how the parents thought that was a good idea. Life jackets don't save you from hypothermia.

Edited by BillM

Makes me shudder!!! Canoe,cold water, river, a kid--that makes it too dangerous already! Add booze and it's criminally negligent.

Since I have owned a boat of my own I have taken the position of Captain very seriously. No Alchohol or person under the influence is allowed in my boat. My sincerest condolences to all family members .

Good call! I just have a canoe but my rule is the same!