Ok Big Cliff,Im hooked on perch,n,,,,,,,,,,,

misfish

Been a long while since I dedicated ice fishing time to perch, but with the past couple of weeks with a deep freeze,I figured what the heck. Hit a spot I had fished maybe 4 years ago. Larger sand and weed transition near a drastic drop. Started off very slow. Only marking a few. Got to moving around and found them. They were super aggressive. Flying up from the bottom and hammering my spoon tipped with maggot . Spent 3 hours on the same hole. They would come in and leave. I know from pass reading, they will circle the area. And they did. All morning long.

Landed around 40 and kept 14 for a fish dinner tonight. My peeps are not like they once were, cleaning 14 of these guys gets tricky now. I,ll take 2 whities anytime. :D

Going to give it another try Sunday morning. To much fun not to.

IT was also great to finally get back out with me bud for some fishing. 4 weeks MIA seems like forever :w00t:

GOPR0269p.JPG

GOPR0273p.JPG

Edited by Misfish

Love my Simco jumbo perch LOL, firm, clean and fun to catch.

If you haven't tried it you have to get an electric filleting knife. A few years ago CPH and I spend several hours crappie fishing, when we got back and went to clean our fish he pulled out his electric and I grabbed my trusty standard filleting knife. Now I have been cleaning fish ever since I can remember and thought an electric filleting knife was just an expensive gadget, next thing I know he is cleaning 3:1 and doing as good or better than I am. The next day I bought one and have been using it ever since.

After I've cleaned them I put them in a bowl of salted water and let them sit in the fridge over night, the next day I drain them and rinse them in fresh water, what I don't plan to eat that day I vacpac and put in the freezer. (or put them in a zip lock bag with a bit of water, squeeze out any air and freeze them)

I have tried many ways of cooking them, chowder, wrapped in bacon and drizzled with Italian salad dressing, fish crisp (and many variations) but my all time favorite is done in a tempera batter and deep fried, served with some nice fresh lemon slices. I have actually had people that don't like fish try it and go back for several refills.

One last hint: I found that some oils impart a taste on anything cooked in them. I went to National Grocers and bought a 5 gal pail of deep fryer oil (liquid shortening). It was only $32.00 for the pail but it does a super job and takes the heat (375°) better than most other oils I have tried. I actually put it in smaller 4L jugs so it's easier to handle and it can be re used many times.

You gotta love the way Crappieperchhunter fillets fish (I defy you to find a bone)...I have gone back to cleaning them whole like in the video then deboneing them after cooking...The way my grandpappy taught me to clean mudcats...

They look like a chain saw massacre when I try filletting...LOL

Good morning everyone, my name is Sinker and I am a Perch Addict!

Best fish out of fresh water IMO. Hands down.

Fun to fish for, great eating, and the big ones are a challenge to catch! The best is yet to come. I love drag pullin perch!!

S.

What a difference 24 hours makes. Fish all over me yesterday, and well today, they were just very shy I guess. Was set up at 5:50 am ready for another great morning. Well that didnt happen. Quick 4 fish and that was it. Moved a dozen times. 50 ft at a time. 28 fow down to 10 fow. I guess they were enjoying the beauty day as well. Not sure if I,ll get out next weekend, but Im good. Time for the river gear to get sorted out. :Gonefishing:

What a difference 24 hours makes. Fish all over me yesterday, and well today, they were just very shy I guess. Was set up at 5:50 am ready for another great morning. Well that didnt happen. Quick 4 fish and that was it. Moved a dozen times. 50 ft at a time. 28 fow down to 10 fow. I guess they were enjoying the beauty day as well. Not sure if I,ll get out next weekend, but Im good. Time for the river gear to get sorted out. :Gonefishing:

Hit the evening bite bud. We had our most success from 5pm to 7. Just in time for dinner.

Also, I should open up Jer's perch filleting business. I fillet 5, I get to keep 1. 6 inch fish plus. No exotic species. :P

Perch on Bottom.JPG

Love my Simco jumbo perch LOL, firm, clean and fun to catch.

If you haven't tried it you have to get an electric filleting knife. A few years ago CPH and I spend several hours crappie fishing, when we got back and went to clean our fish he pulled out his electric and I grabbed my trusty standard filleting knife. Now I have been cleaning fish ever since I can remember and thought an electric filleting knife was just an expensive gadget, next thing I know he is cleaning 3:1 and doing as good or better than I am. The next day I bought one and have been using it ever since.

After I've cleaned them I put them in a bowl of salted water and let them sit in the fridge over night, the next day I drain them and rinse them in fresh water, what I don't plan to eat that day I vacpac and put in the freezer. (or put them in a zip lock bag with a bit of water, squeeze out any air and freeze them)

I have tried many ways of cooking them, chowder, wrapped in bacon and drizzled with Italian salad dressing, fish crisp (and many variations) but my all time favorite is done in a tempera batter and deep fried, served with some nice fresh lemon slices. I have actually had people that don't like fish try it and go back for several refills.

One last hint: I found that some oils impart a taste on anything cooked in them. I went to National Grocers and bought a 5 gal pail of deep fryer oil (liquid shortening). It was only $32.00 for the pail but it does a super job and takes the heat (375°) better than most other oils I have tried. I actually put it in smaller 4L jugs so it's easier to handle and it can be re used many times.

CAJUN FISH

3 strips of bacon diced

2 cloves of garlic crushed or chopped

2 tbsp onion chopped

2 sticks of butter

2 tsp cayenne pepper

1.5 tsp Grey Poupon mustard

1/4 tsp basil

1/4 tsp thyme

1/2 tsp oregano

5 squirts of Tabasco sauce

1 tsp crab-boil (Old Bay or similar)

1.5 pounds of fish cubed into 1" pieces

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sauté the diced bacon, crushed garlic and chopped onion in a 10" skillet until onion is translucent.

Add the butter, mustard, cayenne, basil, thyme, oregano, Tabasco and crab boil. Simmer 3 minutes.

Add the cubed fish. Stir and simmer another 3 minutes.

Transfer to baking dish and bake in 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Serve over white or brown rice.............

CAJUN FISH

3 strips of bacon diced

2 cloves of garlic crushed or chopped

2 tbsp onion chopped

2 sticks of butter

2 tsp cayenne pepper

1.5 tsp Grey Poupon mustard

1/4 tsp basil

1/4 tsp thyme

1/2 tsp oregano

5 squirts of Tabasco sauce

1 tsp crab-boil (Old Bay or similar)

1.5 pounds of fish cubed into 1" pieces

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sauté the diced bacon, crushed garlic and chopped onion in a 10" skillet until onion is translucent.

Add the butter, mustard, cayenne, basil, thyme, oregano, Tabasco and crab boil. Simmer 3 minutes.

Add the cubed fish. Stir and simmer another 3 minutes.

Transfer to baking dish and bake in 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Serve over white or brown rice.............

Now that looks interesting and I just might try it one of these days because I've had a few recipes from you that I still love to do but :dip in tempura batter, deep fry until golden brown and serve with fresh lemon wedges and or tarted sauce sure is a lot easier and I doubt yours will be any tastier :whistling: