Muskie line question

mistaredone

Just picked up a Diawa Lexa 400 HSL-P for throwing D-10s. I noticed when reaching for 80lb power pro that there are some new types of PP with thinner diameter. When I first started Muskie fishing I had a brief spell with 65lb test till I lost a few lures backlashing on casts. anyone used these lines? Does the thinner diameter dig in the spool? Any difference on casting?

The line capacity on the Lexa 400 is large enough to spool up with 100#. As long as you have enough capacity on the reel I wouldn't ever do with less then 100#.

I used 80lb all last year with no issues.

The 400 Daiwa could probably use a decent amount of mono backing before the PP as well. No need to spool the entire thing with PP. Musky arent trout where they run with your line 100 yards.

Hi Mistaredone - I had the same issue when I first started out with 65lb test, it would break on me with a backlash. I upgraded to 80-100lb PP and never had an issue since. I had issues with Sufix 832 breaking on me when I tried them (80lb) as well. Later this year BloodRun will be releasing a 100lb musky braid that I will be testing for them.

I used 80lb all last year with no issues.

The 400 Daiwa could probably use a decent amount of mono backing before the PP as well. No need to spool the entire thing with PP. Musky arent trout where they run with your line 100 yards.

To each there own. For me casting and trolling big, expensive baits, I'll go with the highest pound test that I can load up with at least 100 yds on my casting lines, longer for trolling. Putting backing on is good, but you can also put a little backing on and reverse your line every year or two as well. Either way you are getting longer life out of the line. I wouldn't want any less then 100yds for casting, it's not the length of the run that will get you, it's the length of the cast.

To each there own. For me casting and trolling big, expensive baits, I'll go with the highest pound test that I can load up with at least 100 yds on my casting lines, longer for trolling. Putting backing on is good, but you can also put a little backing on and reverse your line every year or two as well. Either way you are getting longer life out of the line. I wouldn't want any less then 100yds for casting, it's not the length of the run that will get you, it's the length of the cast.

Ya I use 100 yards of line. The 400 holds 200 yards of 80lb braid. thats way to much.

I guess at the end of the day, a few less feet in a cast Is worth the less stress of line digging in to the spool. 80lb PP has never failed me or given me any problems and I like my spool filled to the max for better line pick up. I've been using mono backing for years and never got to the backing but 50lb mono is good peace of mind. Trolling lines get shorter every year. I used to troll 150' back and now 10-35' at most. Thanks for all the replies

I could almost spool my curado 300 casting with 100lb braid on it lol

I always buy 150 yd spools and try to get it all on my reel

If you gotta put backing I use 50lb mono so if by some chance I get to my backing it'll do the job

I've never came remotely close to spooling my curado. I think I need a casting lesson from you lol

• 4 weeks later...