Montreal Vacation

Hank Jr

Hi Everyone

Over the years I have help some of you guys with Muskie fishing in the Kawartha's now I could use some tips . My wife wants to make a trip to Montreal in May she saw a TV show here in PA about it and wants to go . Any tips on places to stay or what to see would be helpful . I have to stay on her good side so I can make my trips to the Kawartha's for Muskies :angel: . Thanks for your help

Hank Jr

Hi Hank,

Consider staying at a university dorm. The dorms are emptied out by that time. It is not a hotel! It is a dorm without the students. Save the money for other things. Besides, you just need a bed. The rest of the time, you want to be experiencing the city. However, the dorm room has a full kitchen.

When I was in Montreal, my van window was smashed to steal a bag on the floor in the middle seat. It was on a street by Chinatown. I taped it up with plastic the next day and drove home.

Montreal smoked meat - Gotta go to Swartz's Deli 3895 St-Laurent.

Of course you have to take her to Club SuperSex.

There is Montreal style bagels, but bagels in Toronto at Gryfe's are better.

Sleepjigging

Lived there for 3 years and I miss the place everyday!

You could try AirBnB. Certainly cheaper than a hotel and it feels like your home away from home. Try to figure out what part of the city you want to stay at.

There are some sketchy parts, but at the same time, $700k homes also exist in those same areas.

I lived in Verdun during the time I was there and it was very convenient to the DT core (15mins), close to the Metro, right by the St Lawrence (great small mouth fishing), close to the airport (15mins), and it's a very popular family borough.

Food wise, there are plenty. Really depends on what you want to eat. Old Port has some great fancy eateries, St Henri has some really comfort food, Verdun has some specials, and Plateau is another hot spot.

Regarding smoked meat, many people enjoy Schwartz and visitors always make a visit there. If you don't want to spend the time waiting, across the street is a place called Mains with no lineup and just as good! Lester's is another good classic joint, but my favourite was Smoke Meat Pete in L'île Perrot. Hey have nightly blues bands playing that adds to the entertainment.

Poutine is another popular thing that only the Quebeckers can do right! Fresh, squeaky cheese curds is a must, that someone other people that try to emulate it can't understand. La Banquise is a popular spot that's open 24/7.

Places like Joe Beef, Au Pied de Cochon, Tuck Shop, are all in their prime and highly recommend you book 2 weeks in advance.

I seriously can go on and on regarding the food! I can give you a weekend list of spots to eat that will guarantee you a 2lb weight gain! Lol.

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

Thanks for the tips lots of places to eat at . Not sure yet if staying uptown or Old town . I would rather be planing a Muskie trip but the wife deserves a nice trip for putting up with me .

Well walleye, pike and perch will be open in May... lol

Montreal is a great city to explore but can be tricky to navigate unless you have a good map person (my wife is terrible)

Lots of really good places to eat

Ten some odd years ago, our family chipped in together and bought us return VIA tickets to Montreal and a junior suite at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel ( the train station was under the hotel) for our 25th anniversary...

We spent a lot of time wandering around visiting various cathedrals including a trip by cab up the mountain to the oratory...

One evening, Roy came and picked us up and we had dinner with him and J. at their place in Boucheville (SP)

It was all very nice...

Edited by Beans

Well walleye, pike and perch will be open in May... lol

Montreal is a great city to explore but can be tricky to navigate unless you have a good map person (my wife is terrible)

Lots of really good places to eat

Agree with the tough to navigate part. I kind of grew up there and still don't know how to get around. GTA on the other hand is a breeze to navigate. Make sure you have a good gps. Also, if you have extra days, a trip to Quebec city is well worth the drive. Very scenic and the old city is great to check out.

I don't like to use the word "hate". But Montreal is not one of the many cities in the world I will go back to. It comes with what most international big cities come with, expensive. You will of course getting everything at a 25% discount with the US dollar. The food is fabulous and the women are pretty, I'll give it that. I would recommend visiting Quebec City instead. As close as you can get to a European city in North America. Plus in Quebec City they won't look at you like you have 3 heads when you speak English or totally ignore you completely. There is only 1 thing Montrealers like less than Anglophones and that is Americans.

Please this is my sole personal opinion only based on my own experiences there. I know many people that love the place. I have been there more times than I can count for business only.

I've been a few times on weekends only as family guests/weddings so the food was always homemade. Old Montreal is very nice, I've missed the smoked meat part. The first time we tried to communicate in English, it was like talking to a wall! So shopping was out of the question.