Cougars in Haliburton

chris.brock

Very interesting. I'm of the idea they DID or DO have a few out there to try and fight the Yote problems.

I don't think cougers would be very effective at controlling coyotes. The stories about the MNR using them to control deer at least much a little bit sense... not a lot of sense, but some.

I do believe there are likely a few wild cougars that have reclaimed some of their historical range in ON, but would agree with the one poster that track looks pure dog to me

it's longer than it is wide, 4 distinct claw marks which typically only see on a running cat, can form a straight line X between the pads, toe position on the outside toes are too far back to be a cat...without something for scale I'd guess domestic dog

also quite common to see tail drags from a cougar

Direct reply from my cousin: "Hi Geoff, I think the debate may have stemmed from whether the cougars in Ontario now are native or not...I don't think there is any debate about them being here, how they 'came back' we don't know, I do know the MNR didn't release them or re-introduce them "

Direct reply from my cousin: "Hi Geoff, I think the debate may have stemmed from whether the cougars in Ontario now are native or not...I don't think there is any debate about them being here, how they 'came back' we don't know, I do know the MNR didn't release them or re-introduce them "

Yeah, I suspect that western cougars have migrated eastward into Ontario. I don't think that any of the original eastern cougars remain.

There may be a few escaped/released pets as well. But if would be difficult to re-establish a wild population with domesticated animals.

I do believe there are likely a few wild cougars that have reclaimed some of their historical range in ON, but would agree with the one poster that track looks pure dog to me

it's longer than it is wide, 4 distinct claw marks which typically only see on a running cat, can form a straight line X between the pads, toe position on the outside toes are too far back to be a cat...without something for scale I'd guess domestic dog

also quite common to see tail drags from a cougar

Yeah, I'm familiar with those criteria Barefoot.

I think canine claws would make a sharper, deep imprint in the snow. I think that's toe drag, no claws. I think it's elongated because it's moving forward, it still looks wider than long to me.

Whatever it is, the scat has lots hair (probably rabbit) so it's probably not domesticated.

In this picture the print in the top left would have a claw mark breaking that clean piece of snow if it was canine.

cougar202_zpsc5qye1oj.jpg

Back when I did not KNOW that there are no cougars here in Ontario, I saw one cross the road ahead of me near Algonquin Park. Must have been a vision, since the MNR keep on stating that they don't exist here. :whistling:

And a fellow I know who has property along the River Clyde near Lanark saw a cougar there multiple times in one season back a few years ago.......

I will be interested to hear the results of the MNR analysis.

Doug

Doug that doesn't surprise me at all. In fact about 10-12 years ago the school board actually sent out a memo to parents in the Lanark/Balderson area to not leave kids alone waiting for the bus in the morning because of Cougar sightings in the area. Coincidence? I think not.

Cheers

My fathe inr laws friend shot one , it was in the tree above the kids play set just outside smiths falls. He had tried calling Mnr as he had sighted it a few times. They said no such thing. They showed up a few days after he shot it looking for the raido collar it was wearing.

Now that is interesting... hmm

Cheers

Like others have said and from my encounter the two things that stick out in my mind is the tail and the speed in which the animal

evaded me . Had many adventures in the back woods over the years and have seen a lot of things but have never seen anything

like I did that day .

I talked to my brother about this thread at my parents the other day, as he is a very avid fisherman and hunter. He lives for the outdoors and travels across Ontario and the country and US hunting and fishing , if they are out there he may have seen one in his many hours in the bush. He reminded me of what happened in our neighbourhood in the early 60's. Mom said around 61 or 62 just before some kids burned it to the ground. I would have been 8 he 6 or so. We lived a few blocks below the Niagara Escarpment in east Hamilton. There was a lumber yard on Lawrence Rd. and Rosedale. There was a big commotion one night with Police and Fire at the lumber yard. Our Mom let us go see what was going on less than 100 yards from our home. There was a Mountain Lion treed in one of the huge Scandinavian pines on the property. The night watchman heard it went to look and found it up a huge tree. The Police told everyone to go home. They shot it dead we were told the next morning. We heard the shot. I forgot all about that, it was a long time ago. I'm prey good at stories but not good enough to make that up.

Heading to Nipissing in a few hours, no sleep tonight too excited!! I won't be driving I guess, good excuse. I'll keep my eyes open for some wildcats up north.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

One thing to remember when looking at tracks is a cougar's tracks aren't actually that big for that size of cat. Wolves and even a lynx would have bigger tracks.

Thanks for posting--did not know that--topic is always -well--- a hot topic