Whut da Haell!!

Musky Plug

Hey fellas,

Was hoping you all could shed some light on what's going on here. So over the course of this past season, I've noticed that a few of my decent spots have "dried" up so to speak. Total of 4 spots. All spots produced fish regularly (For the previous 3 years) and some tanks here and there, until this past year. It was like night and day difference. I was able to still catch some there but wasn't like before, had to grind for them and they weren't anything of size. 3 of 4 where bass spots (2 smallie/ 1 largie) and the other was walleye. Has anyone else had something the same/similar happen to them where they fish? I did some research but couldn't really find a definitive answer. The only thing that I was able to gather was the absence of bait fish and that the water was higher this year there. The spots are in the Pointe Au Baril area of Georgian Bay. (If that makes any difference)

Water levels/temperature took fish out of your honey hole and forced them into areas u probably never fished before because thise spots never produced.

So, water temps and levels whether it be a few feet deeper or shallower than usual killed u.

And I thought levels were generally down ? I guess that's mainly streams/rivers huh

Water levels/temperature took fish out of your honey hole and forced them into areas u probably never fished before because thise spots never produced.

So, water temps and levels whether it be a few feet deeper or shallower than usual killed u.

And I thought levels were generally down ? I guess that's mainly streams/rivers huh

When I was there in the end of June, the visual marks I use to know where to position the boat where submerged under water. When they are usually not..

Did you notice anything different with the weeds in the area by chance? I ask as one year on my home lake the normal weed bed was a lot smaller than usual and made that 'honey hole' just a hole... I had to move about 50' off my typical spot to find them.

Did you notice anything different with the weeds in the area by chance? I ask as one year on my home lake the normal weed bed was a lot smaller than usual and made that 'honey hole' just a hole... I had to move about 50' off my typical spot to find them.

Yes, the weed beds were more sparse then the previous years. Some fish were still there, not as many and they were up tight to the shore. In some cases almost a foot or less. Some of the other spots were the same, more sparse but no fish.

It happens, usually they have moved in the vicinity. I just keep touring around until I find them again.

We did try that on the smallie spots, drove around with the down and side image on and couldn't locate any. Even tried the adjacent bay right next to the spot which had only some pike and a few small dinks. Also tried coming back at different times if the day. Same result.

Edited by Musky Plug

Water temps killed us this year. It was reported that in 70 feet of water the surface temp and bottom temps were only a few degrees difference. Typical area for Bass, Walleye and Perch did not produce. Wandering around on a Great Lake looking for fish is daunting. To be blunt this past season sucked. If I was a subsistence fisherman we would starve this winter.

Yes, the weed beds were more sparse then the previous years. Some fish were still there, not as many and they were up tight to the shore. In some cases almost a foot or less. Some of the other spots were the same, more sparse but no fish.

That's what took out my "go to spots" last year on my home lake. I'm a walleye guy more than a bass guy so those changes really messed up my walleye spots 10x more than my bass spots. It was an odd season last year. And I didn't find the fish in any deeper or shallower, just holding to different or hiding in different structure.

Edited by GBW

The weather and the drought messed up fishing patterns in a big way during the summer months. In the fall it merely delayed the fall feeding patterns. My typical hot fall spots in September and October were not active until November and December. Those last 2 months were fantastic..