Big Fish!

easton13th

I know how it feels. I thought I had a big walleye on at Dunnville Dam and as it got closer I saw the silver flash of a football and it sucked!!! Evene a big cat would be nice but those dam sheephead are good for nothing. Thier not even in the OFC tourney!!

Guest Johnny Bass

WOW!That must have really put up a nice scrap! Were you long lining, dypsy diving, down rigging, lead lining??

My buddy has yet to catch his first sheephead. I wanna take him to the grand river one day but BOQ would be better!

But they offer up a pretty decent fight though, XRap

Yep sure do. Although when I go perching I always see different people keep them and when I mean keep them I mean the'll be hundreads laying all over the pier. I know you can keep a couple for your garden but every weekend with that much fish, come on. I wonder what they do with them :dunno:

edit: I took the liberty of editing your post as I know you did not mean to generalize as to which racial group was keeping fish.

Edited by Roy

Guest Johnny Bass

You dont have to worry about sheephead populations going down on the grand. When I took my boat up there, the fishfinder was lit up like a christmas tree. That place is infested with sheep head.

We didn't go more than 10 minutes without hooking one. Too bad there weren't any really large ones. It did get a little boring after awhile, though my dad had a blast.

Apparently they do taste good if you know how to cook them.

Plus if they clean out all the sheephead you wont be complaining about catching sheephead.lol

edit: I took the liberty of editing your post as I know you did not mean to generalize as to which racial group was keeping fish.

I didn't really mean it that way. Sorry if I offended anyone and thanks Roy for editing as it could of started another argument. I aplogize and I'll take the time to read my comments before I post next time.

Amazing fight ran away and dove to the bottom several times! All in all about 10 minutes to land. I have tried them they taste along the same lines as shrimp to me but chewy like gum.

I landed it while trolling for walleye with a spinner. 10lb test on a baicaster so fight it or lose it. What a blast it was.

Easton

I've been told by my friends that they make excellent fishballs. You just grind it up and turn it into a meatball...then you cook it in soup and noodles (vietnamese noodles or chinese wonton style).

I was hoping to try it out once, but I saw some kind of leech or parasite hanging out under the gill plate...and then I didn't feel like trying it anymore.

Guest Johnny Bass
Amazing fight ran away and dove to the bottom several times! All in all about 10 minutes to land. I have tried them they taste along the same lines as shrimp to me but chewy like gum.

I landed it while trolling for walleye with a spinner. 10lb test on a baicaster so fight it or lose it. What a blast it was.

Easton

Thanks for the info!

Funny, last time Sleded and I were in Dunnville we couldnt catch a sheephead for the life of us. Cats by the millions, a limit of walleye.. no sheepies. Heck we were even trying to catch them for a while, lol Did see about a 10lber caught by a shore angler though.

That 19lber is humungous!

Yeah that's a huge sheepshead. I remember as a kid casting off the Cache Bay docks a friend of mine nailed one on light gear, it eventually fried his spinning reel but was able to hand line it in.

Theres a beautiful jewel in there heads, anyone ever see em?