Anyone buy this theory?? Simcoe freezing later .

misfish

Was just talking ice fishing and how the lake here seems to be freezing later then it use to.

One fella brought up this,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.earthquake.tsunami.earth/

So I get home and look it up.

Anyone buy this? Is this possible? He also said it threw off GPS marks from then too now.

I just found it interesting.

I have no idea, but thought I would ask the " KNOW "people here.

Just my grasp of the whole deal, and I could be wrong! Earth has a series of moving plates, movement is not steady or or easy, stress builds in places. A rapid release of stress, movement causes earthquakes? If the plates move, and the GPS satellites don't? A change in GPS location results?

Simcoe freezing later? More people? more hot air! Global warming!

I don't think the quake would cause a significant change in weather. The link mentions a land mark moving eight feet. How much colder does it get if you are eight feet further north?

We have had significant changes in the weather. That could certainly make a difference. I wouldn't surprise me if it freezes later this year due to the hot summer. The larger the lake, the longer it will retain the summer heat.

Ice up (give or take a few weeks) has been the same for at least 10 years... from what I've seen here anyway...

Local trout pond used to open Jan 1st and some years the ice was dicey... some years there was lots of ice... this year guys were on ice Dacember 18th in some spots while I was in my boat on the main river...

I find wind is your biggest factor... more wind in December means less ice... and it was a windy month in December

I wouldnt rule it out as being a minute factor however, when you add all the other factors like wind, precipitation, water temperature, el nino/la nina, and very importantly timing, etc.. etc... id imagine the overall effect would be slim indeed.

Some years it freezes quick others not so much, weather patterns are clearly trending towards more violent and volatile events so it remains to be seen what the effect is on ice building in the future.