NF - Towing with a Rav4

John Bacon

Thanks for all of the feed back. My wife passed away before Christmas. The Jimmy was mine and Rav4 was hers. I have a 17 year old son who currently has is G1. When he gets is his G2, he will have to be added to my insurance. If I have two vehicles, then he will need to be added as a principle drivers of one. I am not sure what it would cost to have a 17 year old boy with a G2 insured as a principle driver; but I know it will be a lot.

I am hoping to get rid of one vehicle so that I can insure him as an occasional driver. I would prefer to keep the Jimmy, but the Rav4 comes with an outstanding loan for considerably more than what Toyota mentioned as a trade in value. So it will take a lot of cash up front for me to walk away from the Rav4. Plus the Jimmy is eleven and a half years old and may need to be replaced in a few years. The thought of having to buy another vehicle a few years after paying to walk a way from 13 month old one is not a pleasant one.

That is why I am considering keeping the Rav4. Of course, that means it have to serve as a two vehicle.

There has been a lot of input from a lot of people:

• Many of suggested a new vehicle; but that is not an easy decision.
  • To best of my knowledge; manufacture's recommendations are not legally binding. So, I wouldn't be breaking any laws by being a little over. The only legal limit that I am aware of is 10,000 pounds for a G license.
  • While this version of the Rav4 is rated to tow 1,500 pounds, the v6 version was rated for 3,500 pounds, and the Australian diesel version is rated for 2,200 pounds. Obviously, a bigger engine can pull more; but stopping and other handling issues would not be helped by a bigger engine. So, I think it will be reasonably safe to tow with the Rav4; especially if I add breaks to the trailer. I won't be towing two or three times the limit; just a few hundred pounds over. I would prefer a vehicle that is rated for twice the weight that I am towing; but that may not be feasible.

Thanks for all of the input so far. I would still be interested in hearing more from people who have towed a similar sized boat with the same or similar vehicle.

I am also considering other options, such having someone take over the vehicle and the loan, which would probably cost me, but may cost less than returning to the dealer. But I am still contemplating towing with the Rav4.

I don't know how much weight difference there was between the 4 and 6 cylinder models, or how they compensated for it?

Front brakes provide most of your stopping power, putting more than the recommended weight on the rear by towing could detract from that.

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/front-brakes-vs-rear-brakes-whats-the-difference/

Oh John, I m so sorry to hear of your loss. Maybe this isn't the time to make a big decision. You probably won't be towing it until spring anyway. Take a time out. Check with your loan provider, you may have life insurance on that loan, check.

A pals son saved his entire life to buy a new CJ Jeep when he turned 16, every penny ever given to him as gifts for 16 years. The Jeep was going for 24K and the annual insurance for him as principle driver was over $10,000.00 a year, that was years ago insurance rates hasn't gone down. Call your broker for a quote for your 17 year old.

Get the right tow vehicle for the boat. This isn't Australia.

edit: I just had a thought, scary. What if you only insure the Rav during the winter months and the Jimmy during those months when you will need it to tow. Then you only have 1 available vehicle for 2 drivers. You won't get hammered on the loan for the Rav, the Lads insurance rates are extremely less and the wear on the older Jimmy is far less too.

Edited by Old Ironmaker