Minden

Locnar

Hi GBW,

We spent Christmas and today in Burnt River and at the cottage on 4 Mile Lk.. I didn't even get a chance to go down to the lake. Would have been disappointing.I'm thinking of coming back over from Parry Sound to try the walleye fshing through the ice.Have you had any luck other winters? I did OK last summer.

My folks place is close to the boat ramp for the lake and it was GARBAGE ICE since it froze up. Now going to be worse. I hope this rain melts all the surface crap and then get's a deep freeze. I know I'm staying away from it for another month with plans and current conditions. However, walleye is CLOSED there in the winter so we just hit the perch and gills on the ice. There are a few spots for those fish through the ice but if you don't find them in the softwater times it's even harder to find them in the ice season. That lake is a rather steady depth mid lake and to the North so for the pan-fish you can find them one day in 12' by a weed edge and then in 20' the same time the next day. Please remember walleye is closed in the winter and it's just perch (jumbo's are rare!) and blue gills. Fun for the kids when safe... ;)

*edit to add the bold*

Edited by GBW

Just be really careful, spud step, spud step...... Temperatures have been all over the place and some areas where I would think are safe actually have open water. There is some good ice to be found (4-5") on some of the smaller lakes but it's still hit and miss.

The rain today is a good thing (rain makes corn, corn makes whiskey), get rid of the snow and start fresh, the ice is garbage. The deep lakes, Gull, Boshkung, Halls are still open.

It was nice to get out though.

brookie_zpszi1jrd4m.jpg

Edited by chris.brock

The rain today is a good thing (rain makes corn, corn makes whiskey), get rid of the snow and start fresh, the ice is garbage. The deep lakes, Gull, Boshkung, Halls are still open.

It was nice to get out though.

brookie_zpszi1jrd4m.jpg

Beauty! Better luck than yesterday eh buddy? Am I right in thinking the rain and the upcoming cold spell will help make the ice a lot nicer?

we got a reset up in PAB leading up to new years, our 5 inches of slush on top of 1 inch of black ice froze up solid...however a pile of snow and wind has made the whole lake a swamp again. Hopefully its gotten wet enough that this cold snap is gonna lock the slush up again. Typical on GB though for us to be variable as all hell with the ice, the majority of our ice is just frozen slush most years from the continuing daily rise and fall of water levels due to the wind.

Yes...this ice is as bad as it looks

ice.jpg