Haliburton musky still shallow

singingdog

We were up that way last weekend and my boat landed 9 in 3 days. Most fish were shallow with some sitting on the deep edge of structure. We didnt get any on the last day either but we had our fun.

Ill be back in a couple weeks to look for a big one!

I hate warm fall weather for musky fishing. Although its a beautiful comfortable day on the water I think the rising water temps throw the fish right off. Gimme a nasty day any day in the fall and I like my odds better

this...in my limited musky experience, I have had the slowest days when its warm and sunny in the fall.

I think thats actually a pattern for all fish, my best days are always when its nasty out.

Friday the boats got 6 in about 3 hours.

Saturday it took us fishing from 9 until 9pm until we got one. We went 1/2 and then sunday we trolled for another four hours and only got one.

Edited by AKRISONER

Those were on a smaller lake in the highlands so i shouldnt name it on here, most of my fish came on double 10 handlebarz black/orange, gold, and green/black. My buddy got one on a big blue fox and one one a believer., i also got one on a sucker under a float.

Chris, i know there are more savvy ways to do it but for some reason i continue to do it the same way i do pike fishing.

I run a large gamakatsu octopus hook right in front of the dorsal fin on the sucker, i still have my 9" leader to the hook. I have this comical grapefruit sized bobber that i hook up about 2 feet total to the hook, the key being that when the fish takes it i have the bail open with my thumb on the spool so i can feel the fish.

I wait until i think the fish has stopped to turn the sucker around and i give a sweeping hookset always keeping tension on the line.

Now, a large slip float would be preferable because the smaller and/or smarter fish seem to know to use the bobber as leverage to rip the sucker right off the hook.

They only seemed interested in the biggest suckers i had at the time which were in the 10-12" range, these were hard to come by but the bigger the better it seemed.