Great White Shark Caught Off Vancouver Island (pics)

Guest mistyriver1

Actually it's pretty sad that another creature of our vast oceans has to die. Drowning.....think about it.... how sad is that, a shark drowns while in the water.....I'm sure they could have released it (cut the line) or something.....hopefully it was feed to those you need it....and not thrown it the garbage.....my little rant for this morning.....cheers

Jason

I agree, just some tophy hunters who are clearly trying to feel better about themselves by torturing a beautiful creature because they are angry with the size of their peni... :glare:

I never agreed with shark fishing. It's really gotta have a serious effect wiping out the top predator of an eco-system. I've seen first hand what goes on in shark tourneys. There is no C&R! All fish caught are killed. On top of that a lot of the sharks that are killed by commercial fisherman are just having their fins cut off and being sent back alive with no fins. It's messed up what we're doing to our oceans. It's messed up what we're doing to sharks. There's a total disrespect going on and our kids and grand kids will be the ones who will suffer the consequences.

FHR

Edited by FishHeadRic

• 2 years later...
I never agreed with shark fishing. It's really gotta have a serious effect wiping out the top predator of an eco-system. I've seen first hand what goes on in shark tourneys. There is no C&R! All fish caught are killed. On top of that a lot of the sharks that are killed by commercial fisherman are just having their fins cut off and being sent back alive with no fins. It's messed up what we're doing to our oceans. It's messed up what we're doing to sharks. There's a total disrespect going on and our kids and grand kids will be the ones who will suffer the consequences.

FHR

Couldn't agree more.

The amount of fish sharks eat is tiny compared to what we take out of the ocean, so that argument about "protecting commercial fishing" is non-existant. Most sharks that size are after things like seals etc anyway. Long-line commercial fisherman are one of the main killers of sharks unfortunately. Like FishHeadRic says, removing a predator from the eco-system is never a good thing, and often many other species die off as well as a result.

It would have been much better to have cut the line and let the shark go. Sheesh, if you want to see a MAKO, and alive at that, go to an aquarium.

I agree if they were in danger with the shark pulling the boat, why not just cut the rope/wire?

They were only in danger, as you say, because the idiots TIED the shark to their boat. There's no reason in the world to kill a shark. If they were commercially long-lining for dogfish and caught the shark by accident, cut the line, don't rope it to your bloody boat and wait for it to drown itself, and possibly you along with it. That's just a pathetic waste of majestic marine life. Some people clearly need their heads examined. No wonder shark populations are in decline ....

Edited by lhousesoccer