Great White Shark Caught Off Vancouver Island (pics)

Guest mistyriver1

Guest mistyriver1

Just received this from a coworker, thought I would pass along.....

Caught off Ucluelet BC

While the ocean vessel 'Dawn Raider' was commercial fishing for dogfish, this Great

White was hooked in the mouth but only resisted slightly for 15

minutes before it came up alongside the boat to have a look; long

enough for one of the crew members to slip a rope around it's tail

And that's when the s**t hit the fan!!. The Shark took off towing

the 42 foot fishing boat backwards through the water at about 7

Knots.Just like in JAWS, the boat was taking on water over the

stern and the crew watched in horror as the shark would actually

jump completely out of the water at times. This went on for an hour

before the shark finally drowned. She weighed in at 1035 LBS. It is

suspected she followed a weak El Nino current into local waters in

search of food. Although mid 60 deg. water is considered ideal for

these sharks, the larger ones can tolerate water in the low 50s.

recordsh1.jpg

recordsh2.jpg

This is from Snopes.com.

Shark Catch in Yarmouth Nova Scotia

This Mako was hooked in the mouth, only fought slightly for 15 minutes, came up along side of the boat to have a look, long enough for one of the crew to put a rope around it tail!!! That's when the s**t hit the fan!!

The female mako shark pictured here was hooked in August 2004 during the Yarmouth Shark Scramble (an annual shark-fishing derby) by 28-year-old Jamie Doucette of Wedgeport, Nova Scotia, who battled the monster fish for 40 minutes before landing it. According to one newspaper account of the event:

In a scene reminiscent of "Jaws," the fish tugged the boat sideways [and] surged to the surface near the bow, a mako with a broad head and rows of razor teeth, chewing through steel leader.

Doucette reeled it in and other anglers wrapped it in ropes as the shark chewed through the knots. One loop circled its torso, the other the tail; one man leaned over the boat and slit its throat as Jaws thrashed for something to bite. It died 20 minutes later.

The shark was officially measured at 10 feet, 10 inches (3.3 meters) and 1,082 lbs. (492 kg), netting $3,000 in prize money for Doucette, who said:

I felt bad that we caught her at the prime of her reproductive cycle. When they get to be this massive they call them queens of the sea. I would have let her go if I had been by myself, but it's different when you have four or five other guys on the boat. You've got to win.

As chronicled at the Magazine Yarmouth web site, other circulating versions of these photographs erroneously place the shark catch on the wrong coast of Canada, warning readers to stay away from Port Albion, Ucluelet, and Barkley Sound in British Columbia.

Note the phone number on the jib crane. 902 area code is Nova Scotia, and 481 is a Dartmouth exchange.

Edited by douG

Guest mistyriver1

I noticed the phone number on the crane too Doug, but thought maybe it was just where the crane was made. Oh well, never said I was verifying the story, but the pictures are still cool.

Thanks for the detective work guys. After seeing the head and teeth I thought no way Great White. They have much more conical teeth and different dorsal but then started doubting as it's been a long time for me.

Was fascinated with sharks as a kid and used to read everything I could get my hands on.

Very impressive fish no doubt.

Thats a BC story from last year. My Dad scanned the original newsprint, but I've switched from Rogers to Bell and lost all my old emails. Definately in BC, definately a G.White shark.

Actually that is a Mako. The shot of the teeth give it away. Lower jaw has the multiple rows in front. Plus the body isn't right for a White. It's a very large mako though.

FHR

Edited by FishHeadRic

Yep thats a Mako, as Ric said the teeth give it away.....it also has the blue tint to it. This one is huge and at first glance looks like a white ....but they are rare around Nova Scotia. Here is a link to a white thats had been caught off PEI:

http://nautilus.mathstat.dal.ca/shark/english/white.htm

The yarmouth village paper is onto the hoax

http://www.yarmouth.org/magazine/urban.htm

Info on Makos and other east coast sharks

http://www.newenglandsharks.com/shortfin.htm

http://nautilus.mathstat.dal.ca/shark/english/mako.htm

Actually it's pretty sad that another creature of our vast oceans has to die. Drowning.....think about it.... how sad is that, a shark drowns while in the water.....I'm sure they could have released it (cut the line) or something.....hopefully it was feed to those you need it....and not thrown it the garbage.....my little rant for this morning.....cheers

Jason