Home Woodstoves - Who is your insurer?

Rod Caster

Funny when I do an internet search and the best result is an old OFC topic... one which I've already replied to, hahaha.

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71582

My broker says they have NO insurers who cover more than 3 single cords burned per year. So I'm looking for a new broker and/or insurer.

Who here gets decent woodstove coverage, and what company do you use? I will funnel my money to realistic companies, not companies that promote the demise of wood heat in (rural) Canada.

we use halwell mutual we burn about a bushcord but they didn't even ask. though they did insist on wett certification. they deal with rural/farm properties so i suspect this is why they didnt put up a stink regarding the wood burner.

Edited by Raf

I'm with Meloche Monnex. It's a cottage woodstove though. They never asked how much I burn. I asked a couple brokers if my rates were decent a couple years ago and they said they couldn't even get close to them so I'm happy with Meloche. I've never made a claim though.

I always have to advise, careful dealing with banks for insurance.

Why is that?

I'm with Meloche Monnex. It's a cottage woodstove though. They never asked how much I burn. I asked a couple brokers if my rates were decent a couple years ago and they said they couldn't even get close to them so I'm happy with Meloche. I've never made a claim though.

First off, I don't have wood heat however I will second Chris's recommendation to call to Meloche Monnex or Primmum (sister companies through TD I believe - but don't quote me) I have had claims (auto) with both and they have been great. Definitely check every avenue you can think of, university, college, professional associations, employer, second cousin, etc to try and get a group rate. Sometimes joining an association like the OFAH for example might cost, what??? $50 a year and through their group insurance you cans save hundreds.

Why is that?

I'd like to know too. I've been with Meloche Monnex for quite a while, before they were owned by TD. I've had a couple of claims on a vehicle and 1 on the house. No probs at that time anyway.

Any insurer will need a Wett Certificate so you might as well get that first. I had to get some sheet metal installed around my stove for them to certify it.

Not always true. I'm on my second insurer in two years and never have I had to provide a WETT certificate. All the clearances, materials and legalities are easily searched (if not all in your owners manual) and done by yourself or a professional installer, WETT is a racket, a pseudo-regulatory agency.

Farm mutuals, or cooperators, I'll look at them. Perfect. I run a commercial wood lot operated as a farm so I should be able to qualify for farm insurance. Also, my broker clearly doesn't have the reach of insurers I need

First off, I don't have wood heat however I will second Chris's recommendation to call to Meloche Monnex or Primmum (sister companies through TD I believe - but don't quote me) I have had claims (auto) with both and they have been great. Definitely check every avenue you can think of, university, college, professional associations, employer, second cousin, etc to try and get a group rate. Sometimes joining an association like the OFAH for example might cost, what??? $50 a year and through their group insurance you cans save hundreds.

Agreed, I'm part of several groups like that. Definitely another avenue I will follow. Thx

I had to pull mine out 3 years ago The stove I had was not wet certified so they said they would cancel my policy if I did not do the upgrade then to add insult to injury they said my rate would increase $300 a year no matter what type of wood stove I replaced it with. I ended up replacing it with propane stove, that $300 buys a lot of propane and the install and the price of the gas stove was about the same as the wood stove and chimney upgrade to wet

I should just build a cheap tar paper shack, have no loan against it and remove insurance. Then I can burn what I want (obviously safely which is not hard to do) and have no fear of losing my expensive home in the event of a fire.

Of cours I'm kidding.

Thx for all the replies everyone

Hey Chad I'm insured with Cooperators. Great service & the annual premium is fair. I did have to get a WETT cerification about 10 yeaqrs ago which cost me $100 at that time. My stove & installation was approved with out fault. My premium is $82.00 per month which also includes my boat which has a value of $10,000.00