Early Season Goose Hunting

NAW

I am getting so pumped for the upcoming waterfowl season!

Anyone else getting the itch to cycle some shells and ruffle some feathers?

I'm planning an early season hunt with some chaps from work. 3 coffin blinds, 3 dozen decoys and a fresh cut field!!

Anyone else going out for the early season??

You Northern guys are lucky!! I have to wait until the 8th for it to open. Hunt is booked for the 10th.

I'm going to start trying to get a pattern on the local bird in the next week or so.

Most people don't like goose meat from my past experience. But when cooked right, and in the right application, it's delicious.

My favourite 3 ways to eat it are:

1. Homemade Jerky

2. Slow cooked and pulled (like pork) on a sandwich or wrap

3. Ground and used to make Chilli

I'm going to try to make burgers this year. Cut with a bit of ground beef, and imbedded with shredded cheese, chunks of bacon and seasoning.

I've had summer sausage that one of my guide buddies had made up. And it was possibly the best summer sausage I have ever had. It just takes so much meat that I can't ever seem to shoot enough geese in a season!

And Chad, I hear ya! That's an easy way to get dinner!

I've had summer sausage that one of my guide buddies had made up. And it was possibly the best summer sausage I have ever had. It just takes so much meat that I can't ever seem to shoot enough geese in a season!

And Chad, I hear ya! That's an easy way to get dinner!

That happens to me too so I make up the needed meat with some of the rougher venison cuts from the year before. It's the only way I can find to really enjoy goose meat (in a sausage). You only need 13 lbs of wild game meat because the butcher adds 12 lbs of ground pork to get to the 25 lb minimum.

As for cooking goose, I always skinned and then cut the breast out clean. I would wrap them in bacon and roast slow. I have fooled people into thinking it was roast beef. The legs are good for cutting up into small pieces and frying up with onions and peppers for roll ups. Or soup as well. I find nothing wrong with the taste. I dont even find it gamey.

When does duck open?

I saw some geese today. Seems to be some around.

Duck season opens on the last sat of september, but the early goose season opens the thursday after labour day for I think 10 days, then closes until the last saturday in september. From then its open until the end of december in most areas.

S.

GOOSE POPPERS

Cube into 1" pieces

Marinate in Italian Salad Dressing (Wishbone is best) overnight if possible

Cut Hot or Sweet peppers to hold the 1" cubes of goose, I like hot peppers best

Put some cream cheese in the peppers then the goose pieces

Wrap the above with par cooked bacon strips .............even dog poo would taste good wrapped in BACON ! ! !

Grill until the bacon is crispy .......EASY PEASY ! ! !

CHEERS ! ! !

Last year I had 130lbs of goose breast meat ground into sausages, pepperettes and kolbassa. Expensive but very good eats. The farmers who let me hunt their properties get a large portion of it, so its a great deal all around. I can't wait to whack a few of them sky donkeys!

S.