Entry Level Opportunity - Automotive Service - Leading to Apprenticeship for Right Person

John

I am looking for an entry level Technician. Initial responsibility would be Tire Install, Oil Changes and other related tasks at busy, clean, well equipped 7 bay shop in Milton. Great opportunity for someone looking to start a career in Automotive Service and Repair. Will train the right person. You would be working under fully qualified 310 - Auto Service Technicians. Benefit package available. Bonuses can be earned.

Position is advertised on Indeed and Kijiji. Thought there might be a member here that knows someone looking to start their working career in this industry.

You can text me at 289-828-1804 or send resume to [email protected]

Mod's I assume that this is OK to post here.......no advertising intended...

John..

Good luck in your search. Getting tough to find qualified techs and fewer people getting in all the time

I know what you mean about finding people that are truly interested in and are capable of working in today's trade. For the last several years, I brought in coop students from the local high school. A lot of them show up here for an easy credit or that's what they think. I ask my 2 techs to throw the kid right into the electronics of today's vehicles. Looking up specs, connecting scan tools, pulling codes and finding diagnostic information. It only takes a couple of hours to find out whether the person has the reading and comprehension skills, that are required in today's techs. The good kids are right into it and are excited about the electronics aspect of the trade. The not so good kids end up broom pushers or bench warmers. Out of the 20 - 30 kids I had go through the shop, I've only had 3 or 4 of them that I was willing to help find a placement and get their apprenticeship started.

Two of them now have their inter Provincal license; they stop in every once and a while and it makes me feel proud of them that they followed through.

Dan.

Two of them now have their inter Provincal license; they stop in every once and a while and it makes me feel proud of them that they followed through.

Dan

Dan, I'm one of those :) walked into Typography firm in 1968 and knew nothing about type was taken aside and they taught me well; BUT I was more than willing to learn and spent 51/2 years doing nothing but learn and develop my work skills. Over the years I have hired some of those teachers when I moved into advertising. Never been unemployed.

I still keep in touch with the ones that have not passed. I will go visit one in Port hope in two weeks and spend a few hours with him and chat about type.

Good luck with your search John

I was having a hard time finding a good solid millwright for a job we had posted it was tithe point that we were going to bring a headhunter in

Had 1500 lookers at the posting and 2 resumes

I brought one in and by the time I got him a quater of the way into the machines he was responsible for plus the day to day grind he looked like he saw the reaper and was going to have kittens

It's tough there are a lot of big projects going on around the country and the cream or long timers are tied up. I don't see a lot of interest in getting dirty with the new generation not bashing them but not seeing a backfill happening could get very ugly in the near future as the majority of what's out there start hanging up the tools

Peter

Thanks guys I appreciate the comments and of course you are helping me keep it near the top.... :) We have two excellent 310-S Techs one of whom actually taught the course but had a yen to get back on the tools. This position offer the right guy or gal a truly great opportunity to learn a trade. J...

What a fantastic opportunity for a young person willing to work there way up. And great of you to offer it here. Another example of the community atmosphere they have created here at OFC.

Good luck finding someone. In my experience trying to find a lead generator willing to get experience and work there way to a sales position aged me, lost hair and what was left turned grey. It seemed everyone wanted to start where normally it would take years to get to without an education in business. They wanted it and wanted it now. The new car lease, latest laptop, I phone, expense account and a corner office. And this is out of high school or maybe a few years of Community College they never finished. It was very surprising to me. I had one kids Mother actually call me to tell me how much her child should be paid. Another Mom called me to ream me for cutting her kids hours back. He was supposed to be watching the store and was given the opportunity to actually garner leads and sell. I drove by after dinner and stopped to pick up paper work I forgot only to find him and a few pals playing poker in the showroom and a few girls in a Hot Tub. I should have fired him on the spot. And Mommy called and complained I cut his hours back, wowza. .

Nice thing about learning a trade is you can work just about anywhere. Trades people are in demand from Toronto to kenora. Not so much for white collar types who are tied to major metropolitan areas typically. I sometimes wish I pursued the former instead of the latter.

..and they pay well if you are good.

Something to consider if you're younger and reading this.

A majority of the uneducated young people I personally know today just don't want a trade. Grand kids of friends. When they find out there is schooling involved and have to be up at 05:00 they run. Why should they work, single Mom gives them money for whatever they want and play video games until 5 AM. I have a good friend who's son is 25. He has never held a job for more than 6 months. Now that all his pals have jobs, cars and girlfriends he wants to get paid but not earn it. Every one is stupid, especially his old supervisors. I have several associates that can hire him but I won't recommend him and it has caused a riff in his father and my friendship. Sad.