recommendations on travel insurance

huzzsaba

the wife and I will be travelling abroad for a few weeks and want your folks recommendation on good travel insurance for our trip. We are in our 30s and no pre-existing conditions.

Want to deal with a company that wont give us a run around. I don't mind paying a little extra as long as customer service is good and will take care of us.

So far spoke to RBC and will speak with CAA since I am a member. got a quote on kanetix.ca but not sure if those companies are any good.

Thanks

CAA

Has worked well for my family members, that needed hospitalization while out of Canada. A three day stay in hospital, while in Floriida came to better then 12 grand. Invoice sent to CAA, the amount paid and my mother inlaw walked out not owing a dime.

She is 80 now and just bought insurance again from CAA for a two week stay in St. Lucia; $485.00 but she has 100% coverage.

Dan.

I use Blue Cross&Blue Shield. I have pre existing conditions and they gave me the best rate. I hope I never have the need to make a claim. They are all about the same as reported a few years back on W-5. The first step is to deny without even reading the claim. I trust not a single one of them unfortunately.

There's the story of the BC couple that vacationed in Hawaii, he had a massive heart attach and the bill for his surgery was in the 100's of thousands. Some 10 years earlier he had chest pains but was not diagnosed with heart disease. His GP told him to take one 81mg of Aspirin daily as a precautionary measure as do I as well as others my age. The insurance carrier denied his claim stating he had a pre existing condition as his Dr. prescribed meds for him. I don't have a link but this is not a urban legend.

We tried to get insurance for Sue so we could travel down South in the winter. We were totally up front about everything (she has had pretty serious health problems) the lowest quote we could get for her was $1000.00 a week and it would not cover pre existing conditions. Now you know why we aren't going down South in the winter any more.

Something I never realized until last year was Ontario residents aren't covered by OHIP for ambulance service in other provinces and visa versa.

The lady from Alberta who needed an Ontario air ambulance last year to be taken from Timmins to Sudbury received a bill for $80,000, although she eventually didn't have to pay it.

We're gonna be travelling around the Maritimes for a few weeks in September so I want to get the extra coverage for ambulance service and am just wondering what others use for that coverage.

We were down that way about 25 years ago and never knew we weren't covered.

$100.00 for an Ambulance ride here in Haldimand and Hamilton I know that for certain.

Many of us do not realize that OHIP is not accepted in other provinces, your not in Ontario anymore Toto. You most likely will be reimbursed by OHIP at OHIP prices and be on the hook for medical care above and beyond what OHIP pays in Ontario. It takes a while to get back that money as well. Paying a few bucks for a primary insurer is well worth the $$$. Many on a company pension have ceiling limits that are not topped up. A friend from Dofasco thought his coverage was unlimited until he had a heart attach in Mexico. He went through his entire lifetime coverage with 1 heart attach. Now he pays cash for scripts just like Fish Farmer, Speil and me. My average is about $300.00 a month for drugs and dental. Our bodies got beat to all hell sucking in graphite, CO, sulphur dioxide all designated substances to name a few, and all of this in 40C plus temps.

Ranting again, sorry. Too hot for that. Even here on the Erie lakeshore the thermo says 32C. I have never seen anything above 30 in 20 years here.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Not that I know of Dan.

I can't imagine the extra coverage would be expensive, I just want to be sure I'm covered.

Who'd have guessed a trip in an air ambulance could cost 80 grand.

That seems to be a big number Lew? Maybe an extra zero got added (innocently enough) along the way?

Anyways, on topic here's some food for thought:

Sean's 'repatriation' cost from YEG to YYZ after the 2013 accident was just over $31K. Crew consisted of 2 RN's & 2 pilots. Apparently if scheduling allowed for a return repatriation, costs would have been reduced significantly. That was not the case then but fortunately, all costs were covered by WCB Alberta.

923926C4-0C96-4CE0-91F4-05D964ACEEA1_zps

8985708F-CB08-4F6C-8040-B5902AF029BD_zps

8451A5AB-EB28-41FE-988C-42DD4D0FAED8_zps

Be sure to check your policies accordingly.

That seems to be a big number Lew? Maybe an extra zero got added (innocently enough) along the way?

Your right, it was my mistake, it was 30 thousand, not 80 but still a massive bill when your not expecting it.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjjtaG8q6vOAhVCJR4KHYXVAsMQFggoMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thestar.com%2Fnews%2Fcanada%2F2015%2F08%2F06%2Fmother-left-with-30000-bill-for-air-ambulance.html&usg=AFQjCNEcwsIoNILriqFR3d1P40PWVS7XIA