Rebuilding an outboard (optimax)

Tayzak15

Well this season I noticed my boat running slower and harder starting than in years past. So sure enough I take it to the shop and its got 70 psi in one cylinder and 90 in all of the others. My mechanic tells me they are all pretty worn and obviously the 1 at 70 needs fixing. Its a 1999 200 hp mercury optimax and he quoted me at 9000$ to have it completly rebuilt. To me that seems a bit high, although I don't know too much about the price of rebuilding. Can anyone chime in? or maybe give me some other suggestions or people that do it cheaper? Or am I looking at spending that much wherever I go fora rebuild?

That does sound pretty costly to me.

You could look into the cost of a new motor and see how much difference the cost would be to upgrade to newer tech.

All 3 of those cylinders seem low on compression.

My '91 2 stroke Merc was about 120 psi on each cylinder when I sold it in 2013.

I haven't had anything rebuilt lately, but that does sound really high, $1500 per cylinder.

If you are looking at rebuilding, find out exactly what will be done. There can be a vast difference in what someone considers a rebuild or a complete rebuild.

What is the shaft length on your motor?

Bridgeview marine in BC gets lease returns all the time from their lodge clients.

They currently have 2 150hp Verados for $6K each but they are 25" XL motors.

OH, and don't worry about getting it out to you.

I bought my new 115 4 stroke from them and they shipped it to me.

Cost $700 for shipping but I still saved over $3K if I bought locally.

http://bridgeviewmarine.com/product-category/boat-engines-outboards/used-boat-engines/

Edited by DRIFTER_016

What is the shaft length on your motor?

Bridgeview marine in BC gets lease returns all the time from their lodge clients.

They currently have 2 150hp Verados for $6K each but they are 25" XL motors.

OH, and don't worry about getting it out to you.

I bought my new 115 4 stroke from them and they shipped it to me.

Cost $700 for shipping but I still saved over $3K if I bought locally.

Mine is a 20 inch shaft unfortunately, but I do have a jackplate on it.

The labour cost are big. Just take your cowling off and have a look. Everything you see needs to be removed.

Likely if you find the right guy you can split the cases buy over size rings, run a hone in each cylinder put it back together for a lot less than 9k.

This is what I would call a hack job and when it's done I would trade it in for something good.

Trax is right. Lots of these motors run for years after this repair.

At this point you still have value. I'm just guest da mating 3-4k for this repair. If you run it and blow a rod out the case you have $50 of scrap aluminum.

In may 2015 I was looking for a 1999-2003 225 opti. I found 1 EFI with enough hours on it for $5500 and any Opti 7k or more, most with eye popping hours on them.

Like drifter said you can find cheaper Verdos put they are a bad fit for a bass boat. And not great on gas.