Windows update warning.

smitty55

Windows is playing tricks again. Updates that are important to them, not you as a user, are now being labelled as important so most folks will unknowingly install them. This morning I start up my pc and notice new updates available. So I take a look at the notice and see kb3135583. Hey wait a minute, that looks familiar to me. Didn't I remove that months ago because of problems it was causing, plus it is a win10 patch that caused major controversy among the tech field. So I look it up and yep, this is the same patch that MS has reissued about 4 times now as they try and force win10 on users. So I look at the other "important update" kb3173040. Sure enough, it's only purpose is to advertise Win10 and remind people that time is running out for the free "upgrade".

So my strong advice is for any win7 or 8 users. Do Not Install these updates. Uncheck them to stop the install or if it's too late, go into your update history and remove them. Trust me, they are not good for you.

Cheers

Edited by smitty55

I'm still running Vista, changed browsers from IE to Firefox, it is taking a bit of getting use to but I'm starting to get the hang of it. I'll go to Windows 10 when I have no other choice.

Thanks for the heads up I'll be watching my updates more closely from now on.

I'm still running Vista, changed browsers from IE to Firefox, it is taking a bit of getting use to but I'm starting to get the hang of it. I'll go to Windows 10 when I have no other choice.

Thanks for the heads up I'll be watching my updates more closely from now on.

Think you are safe Cliff, the free upgrade did not extend to Vista users, only Windows 7 and 8. Seriously though, we have 2 new PC's a tablet and laptop running 10 with no problems and an old 7 laptop, plus another laptop and a desktop that we did the free upgrade on with no problems.

I am lazy and wouldn't know a bad update if I saw it so I have them update automatically. I know it's bad but like I said I wouldn't know what and what not to update so I TRUST them, bad Johnny.

I bought a first Gen touch screen tablet when 8 was out a week. I didn't need a PC for 10 years. No problem with Windows 9 and 10 gives me problems, silly irritating problems with widows opening that I can't get rid of without selecting them. I grew up with Windows 95' and before that Word Perfect 5.1 for DOS and Pong.

I wish I still had XP, the best Micro Soft ever had. My Dr's office still uses XP Professional.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Updated many PC's / Laptops and Tablets to w10

All work great :)

Wouldn't go back and haven't have single request to go back ...

It's not so much the OS itself, although there certainly are driver issues with hardware not working. Just the fact that MS is giving this away for free, which they have never done before, raises huge flags for me, as there has to be ulterior motives behind their push. Why else would they force these upgrades on users so hard, even without authorization? As it turns out, Win10 is chock full of monitoring and reporting software that in effect tells Microsoft everything you do on your computer. Basically you are losing any presumption of privacy and they can use this info for any purpose they desire, which you can be sure is not for your benefit.

Also from what I hear, while it may be free for a start, don't be surprised if Microsoft starts charging a yearly fee for using their software, so they'll get their money anyway.

For those who don't want to "upgrade" I suggest using a utility called Never10 or another one called the GWX Control Panel to block MS from pulling a fast one on your system.

Cheers

Thanx for the info Smitty. I just got my lap top returned from the shop. Cost me a few bucks for a remove, clean up & re install, also a solid state hard drive & Kaspersky anti virus. My lap top is running extremely well right now but I'm getting these notices to install windows 10 & important updates. So, how do I "uncheck them to stop the install". Thanx

Now if they can only do something about the Android Device/ Google marriage , I swear my phone knows the brand of TP I use and which hand :tease: , on the bright side there is no longer a stack of magazines next to the crapper.

Thanx for the info Smitty. I just got my lap top returned from the shop. Cost me a few bucks for a remove, clean up & re install, also a solid state hard drive & Kaspersky anti virus. My lap top is running extremely well right now but I'm getting these notices to install windows 10 & important updates. So, how do I "uncheck them to stop the install". Thanx

Your easiest fix is to download never10 from https://www.grc.com/never10.htmand run it. It will make the necessary registry changes and block it from installing. Not your case but some pc's could have over 6Gb of data hiding on their system just waiting for the install and never10 would remove that too. MS included all that data as updates, the sneaky buggers.

Also check your windows updates and remove those two I mentioned above so you don't get the nag.

Cheers

Ran Never10 and glad I did.

Over 19,000 files and folders belonging to windows 10 and over 6GB of hard drive space freed up.

Thanks Smitty

Right on! That's great news Carp. Goes to show how corrupt Microsoft can be hiding all those files under the guise of Windows updates, the buggers. Plus they say you can revert back within thirty days which in many cases is Bull as users lose much of their data regardless.

Cheers

Edited by smitty55

So is there any advantage to me running Never10 ? (I'm still on Vista and couldn't upgrade if I wanted to)

You're fine Cliff. The auto "upgrade" only applies to Win 7 and 8 without doing a clean install.

Cheers

My AT and XT machines ran only DOS, I held off getting Windows till I got my first Pentium 90 with a 1 gig hard drive and Window 95, all the nerds would have nothing to do with Windows for a long time, seems to be the same situation today with 10.

Monochrome monitors with a C prompt rule :tease:

Edited by dave524

Cliff, do you still crank that machine to get er going..........LOL..........and do you still have that pet dinosaur Dino out back......take care..... :)

No, I trapped a chipmunk put him a cage, costs me a fortune in peanuts but what the heck.

Got PS and his lovely bride on the way, Lancaster ice teas, Billy Bob's Shrimp at the ready, and a couple of the nicest steaks I could find just starting to come up to room temperature. Really wish you and your lovely bride were her with all of us. Once we get everything settled the plan is to get the six of us together.

No, I trapped a chipmunk put him a cage, costs me a fortune in peanuts but what the heck.

Got PS and his lovely bride on the way, Lancaster ice teas, Billy Bob's Shrimp at the ready, and a couple of the nicest steaks I could find just starting to come up to room temperature. Really wish you and your lovely bride were her with all of us. Once we get everything settled the plan is to get the six of us together.

Sounds like a good time ho down..........looking forward to seeing you guys again.

Going out for salmon tomorrow for a change.........walleyes have scattered on Erie it seems....grrr

It's not so much the OS itself, although there certainly are driver issues with hardware not working. Just the fact that MS is giving this away for free, which they have never done before, raises huge flags for me, as there has to be ulterior motives behind their push. Why else would they force these upgrades on users so hard, even without authorization? As it turns out, Win10 is chock full of monitoring and reporting software that in effect tells Microsoft everything you do on your computer. Basically you are losing any presumption of privacy and they can use this info for any purpose they desire, which you can be sure is not for your benefit.

Also from what I hear, while it may be free for a start, don't be surprised if Microsoft starts charging a yearly fee for using their software, so they'll get their money anyway.

For those who don't want to "upgrade" I suggest using a utility called Never10 or another one called the GWX Control Panel to block MS from pulling a fast one on your system.

Cheers

For those that already have 10 you can turn all of the data collection off:

How to Keep Windows 10 From 'Spying' on You

That was interesting Dutch, including the comments, Tks. The whole reality of what Microsoft Corp actually knows about the majority of people and how they go about it just got that much scarier. YIKES :ph34r:

Cheers

Dang, I just updated to Windows10 and discovered my Microsoft Backgammon is no longer available.

I loved playing against live people all over the world anytime, day or night, even though the game had A LOT of glitches. Now I know why Microsoft never bothered addressing any of 'em.

Oh well, guess I gotta buy a board and play the old fashioned way. lol