Planning 1st trip to the Might FRENCH RIVER **need some advice**

addy79

Hello All,

I've decided to go on a 4 day fishing trip to the French River, July 6th weekend.

For the past few years I've hit the Moon River (loved it), but would like a change of scenary; after some reasearch the French seems like the way to go.

To be honest I am fairly unfamiliar with this water and need help with two things...

1. Which end of the French River is better, upper or lower?

I'm not to concerened about driving distance between the two, just want to go where the fish are MOST active!

2. We want to rent a cabin, nothing too fancy, as we are travelling on a budget. Where is a good affordable camp with decent boats available for rent.

For the most part we will be targeting pike, bass, and walleye. I dont believe the Musky season is open yet (is this a correct assumption??)

Thanks for sharing the wealth of knowledge guys, truly appreciated.

and yes...i will provide a full report upon my return.

addy - I can't give any opinion on the Lower French as I have never fished it but I do love the Upper. We will be there July 6 - 13. Last year at that time, pike, pickeral and bass were all good. Didn't get any muskie but will try again this year.

These are the cottages at the marina where we park and launch, good people there and they have very nice boats for rent.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/dokisriverview/

WATCH OUT FOR RATTLESNAKES

brookieman is right, there's tons up there. A buddy was bitten by one on a camping trip up there a few years back.

To answer your question, I feel pretty much contrary to what everyone else who responded said, as I much prefer the lower French downstream from 69.

Can't go wrong with French River Lodge located in Ox bay where the French and Pickeral rivers converge. http://www.frenchriverlodge.com/

Also good is Bears Den a little further downstream. http://www.bearsdenlodge.com/

Would also like to mention, the reason I prefer the lower to the upper. Via the lower river you can access the Bad River and it's delta at Georgian Bay (after navigating some rapids ;) ). Nothing, and I mean nothing in the entire French system can top the fishing and the scenery in the Bad River Delta...

Head and shoulders above everywhere else, and I've fished it all....

Edited by solopaddler

Lots of oppertunities on the upper French.Casa Blanca by Dokis has some good waters to fish.Brian will show you some good spots there and work his butt of to get you into fish.Dont know what the going rate is now but was a great deal a few years back.

Joe

brookieman is right, there's tons up there. A buddy was bitten by one on a camping trip up there a few years back.

To answer your question, I feel pretty much contrary to what everyone else who responded said, as I much prefer the lower French downstream from 69.

Can't go wrong with French River Lodge located in Ox bay where the French and Pickeral rivers converge. http://www.frenchriverlodge.com/

Also good is Bears Den a little further downstream. http://www.bearsdenlodge.com/

Would also like to mention, the reason I prefer the lower to the upper. Via the lower river you can access the Bad River and it's delta at Georgian Bay (after navigating some rapids ;) ). Nothing, and I mean nothing in the entire French system can top the fishing and the scenery in the Bad River Delta...

Head and shoulders above everywhere else, and I've fished it all....

Hey solopaddler, it's me again...we're supposed to be going next weekend...how far is the Bad river delta from the Hartley Bay access road? I think I mentioned we'll be in a 14' fiberglass boat.. I don;t want to take a chance with a nasty rapids and puttimg s hole in my haul..

thanks

Hey solopaddler, it's me again...we're supposed to be going next weekend...how far is the Bad river delta from the Hartley Bay access road? I think I mentioned we'll be in a 14' fiberglass boat.. I don;t want to take a chance with a nasty rapids and puttimg s hole in my haul..

thanks

Off the top of my head, I think it's around 22km's. As far as navigating it blind for the first time it can be done, but you better make darn sure you have really good maps and you have the guys at Hartley Bay go over in detail exactly how to get down.

In the past I've seen guys with big console boats navigate up and down those narrow chutes, but you're much better off with a tiller...Much more direct and instant response when sharp turns are required.

Would also mention that going back upstream, slowly and under control is MUCH easier than hurltling downstream....

If you can make it down to the Cross Channel you're golden....

Bear in mind as mentioned you don't have to go down there to catch lots of fish and have a great trip...It's pretty nice upstream as well.

BTW, if you do make it down to the delta of the Bad and camp there, there's a really interesting phenomenon that occurs down there in late June to early July. Every evening at dusk millions of shad move in from Georgian Bay (I guess to spawn?), and the entire river comes alive with fish of every species going on a frenzy. It's really cool...

Edited by solopaddler

I fished and guided on the Lower French for many years, the fishing can be excellent but the rapids can be a real challange and very dangerous for someone that doesn't know where they are going. I would suggest that if you are going to fish the lower French, you either hire a guide for your first day or find someone that knows the area really well and will actually take you down and up the shoot for one or two trips. Once you start down there is no turning back and if you make a mistake, you can do a lot more than damage your boat.

Solopaddler is right, the Delta has perhaps some of the best fishing I have seen anywhere and you can put walleye in the boat almost any time of the day. There are some really big fish hiding in the back eddies just waiting for a free meal to come drifting by.

I don't know the Upper French very well at all, I have only fished it a couple of times but I have fished both up stream and down stream from Lacair with my son on a few occasions and we have always managed to put some nice fish in the boat, I guess I would suggest the Upper French more from a safety perspective for a first timer without a guide.

As for the rattle snakes, well, as I said, lived there, worked in the bush, camped, fished, had one or two try to come at me but never got bitten. MNR will tell you they are not agressive; Bull turd, I have seen a few of them be quite agressive. Just keep your eyes open and be careful.

As several have already said, try Casa Blanca Lodge on the upper.....call Bryan and see if he does the housekeeping thing.......he didn't used to, but I believe I heard somewhere that this has changed. I fished there at least 20 trips before I moved to Cranes on the "upper lower" French. The upper is beautiful water, and you can't possibly fish all of it. The walleye fishing was getting much better the last time I was there 3 years ago. And bass fishing was always good. Pike I always found to be just fair, but you'll get some. Muskies are big, but you'll work for them. Bryan is a good guy and his boats and motors are always in great condition. If it doesn't work out with housekeeping at Casa Blanca, you can find cabins around the Dokis Reserve, where the landing is.....Bryan will surely direct you to one or two.

I'd also recommend Cranes where I now fish, but they are American plan only. However, there are plenty of places at Wollsey Bay that look like rentals.....you can probably find one Googling online.

Regardless of where you go, you'll love it. At the time you are going, and knowing water condition from my trip there earlier this month ( lower, warmer water than usual for this time of year) I'd really concentrate on weed beds, and the outside edges....you should find most species close. Also, make sure you do some topwater after dinner til dark.....I've had some terrific action on big lunge and smallmouth doing so. Also, if you can stand the mosquitoes, stay out til after dark and pitch some big rapalas over the weedbeds and open water humps for walleye.

Have fun, and report back.

WOW!

Thanks for all the info guys, i will put it to good use.

I must say that the Bad River and delta have sparked my curiosity BIG TIME!

**i would assume that the guy renting us the boats will give us substantial instruction as to traversing the rapids, how bad can it be??!

Thanks again..

The delta and Bad French sound exciting and has an adventure type feeling whenever I hear them mentioned. My father started taking the family, 6 sons, to the Pickerel River in 1956, I was not on the first 5 or 6 trips. We stayed at Camp Wanikeiwin (sp?) the first years, and then camped out on Wanipeitai Bay from then on.

We have never fishing the Bad French to the Delta. Furthest I have been is past Crombie Bay in the island complex for smallmouth. Smallmouth is my preferred fish. I enjoy shallow walleye also. How is the smallmouth fishing down the Bad French?

Four of us brothers return to the family stomping grounds July 14th, and are talking about the Bad French, but are hesitant and cautious about venturing down there for safety and boat and motor considerations. My oldest brother has a one year old 18 foot Lund with 60 HP tiller E tec.

Thanks for any recommendations on the fishing and other issues,

Don

PS: After fishing the Lower French, we will again fish the Upper French out of Casa Blanca Lodge.

Are the waters of the upper French suitable to do some trolling? or are there lots of weeds and shallow rocks to get in your way.

I prefer trolling when visiting new bodies of water in an attempt to cover as much water as possible.

When does Musky come into season up there??

WOW!

Thanks for all the info guys, i will put it to good use.

I must say that the Bad River and delta have sparked my curiosity BIG TIME!

**i would assume that the guy renting us the boats will give us substantial instruction as to traversing the rapids, how bad can it be??!

Thanks again..

Trust me, and listen to Cliff, it can be very bad. I fished on the Lower French for quite a few years and each year there was someone, or more than one, who thought how bad can it be and payed the price. Water levels play a big part. I wouldn't even think about it without a guide for the first time and I wouldn't dream about it in a console boat.

yeah i think im gonna take heed to everyones advice and stick to the upper french for my first trip.

Musky is on our MINDS!!

any experienced advice would be greatly appreciated..

p.s. my curiosity has been peaked with these rapids, im looking forward to checking em out some time in the future....maybe a kayak fishing trip is in order in the near future??!!

Trust me, and listen to Cliff, it can be very bad. I fished on the Lower French for quite a few years and each year there was someone, or more than one, who thought how bad can it be and payed the price. Water levels play a big part. I wouldn't even think about it without a guide for the first time and I wouldn't dream about it in a console boat.

"How bad can it be?" sounds like the Canadian version of "Hey ya'll watch this"

It's funny, you are doing the opposite of what I did. I use to fish the lower French from 1985 to 1990 and switched to the Moon River because of the amount of time spent driving the car and the boat and then setting up camp. It became almost a day each way. I love the Moon and go there at least three times a year and know it like the back of my hand. I think that the fishing is much better then the lower French.

Having said that, here is some info on the lower French. There a plenty of great places to camp and alot of water to cover. The first three years we fished the French and Pickeral and launched at Hartley Bay marina. Fishing itself can be hit and miss. It takes a few years to figure out where the good spots are.

The last two years, we launched at the Key River and drove out to Georgian Bay to camp. This was way more fun than fishing in the river because you can do more exploring and fish the mouth of four different rivers along with all of the islands in the area. Again, fishing was hit and miss because you are learning the spots. The down side to this is that the weather can really whip on the bay so you have to be real careful.

Here is a link the charts of the area: Maps

If you decide to fish the lower French in the river, send me a PM as I have the topo's scanned from my hard copy. You can print them off and take them with you. (There are even a few spots marked off for camping and fishing)

p.s. my curiosity has been peaked with these rapids, im looking forward to checking em out some time in the future....maybe a kayak fishing trip is in order in the near future??!!

You must have a death wish or something LOL. A kayak if you are experienced in white water would be OK going down but you are going to have to carry it back up.