Trout Beads

muddler

Heading out for some early Rainbow fishing on Friday. I'm going to try trout beads ONLY for the first time. I've played around with them last year with some success. I dab a little salmon oil on the egg when I start. Other than that I just dead drift them on a 6lb florocarbon leader and a #6 short hank hook about 2-3" below the bead.

Any suggestions (secrets), do's and don'ts for using these would be appreciated as I'm new at using these baits.

Thanks, muddler

Edited by muddler

Don't go crazy with the hook set on them, I usually do a slow lift when fishing beads and my hookup ratio went way up. Also, this time of year I always carry a few red worms as well. Even minnow imitations.. Spring is the best time of year to switch up your bait selection for steelies.

I fish beads just like any other bait, fly/jig or lure below the float. I would tone down the hook sets though. Beads are far less water resistant than roe bags and if you miss on the hook set, be prepared for a bead/hook combo flying back at you at warp speed.LOL

Im hooked on the bead now. Never not have one on my line now. I will move it up 12" from the hook when I want to just drift a bag or worm. I have had them hit the bead even up that high and drag it down.

Im pretty stoked about my 3 new glass bead lots.

Cant wait to give them a try these next few days.

Natural

beads 004.JPG

Boiled single

beads 005.JPG

And frosted white

beads 006.JPG

Beads?

Beads don't work!!! :rolleyes:

12304096_1284031338289869_10048040419551

What size beads and hooks are you guys using that your hooking % sucks?

My bead hookup rate is North of 90% and maybe even 95%.

I run larger hooks with beads and I run beads from 6mm to 16mm depending on conditions and what fish I'm after.