Axe Lake?

jwilly

Anyone here ever been into Axe Lake? I'd like to try a few new bass lakes this year and need to know the road conditions to get in. Do I need something with some ground clearance or will my mini-van do? Also, I think it is mostly surrounded by crown land isn't it? (for camping).

Any help would be great, thanks.

My most humble apologies. :o I have been a member for a few months but have yet to post. I have been lurking for a while and have enjoyed what I have read. Please forgive my silliness. I'm from T.O. and target mainly bass, walleye, and panfish. Any help on Axe would be greatly appreciated. And yes, it's between Parry Sound and Huntsville, south of 518. Thanks and apologies again.

sure...now he goes and introduces himself..after I went out and bought the tar and feathers...........LOL

welcome to the board, sorry I can't help you

does anyone want to buy some tar and feathers

Never fished Axe Lake, but I know it has excellent largemouth in it. I think it should be accessible without 4WD, as there's at least one cottage on it. A smaller, even more remote lake Meadow Lake is reputed to have insane bass fishing... again still on my list of places to hit.

Typical treatment of the newbies

I see GCD was quick to throw his one cent in too

I have been to Axe Lake about 2 years ago

The fishing was a little slow the day i went but by the number of boats i'm sure the fish are in there. The reason i went in the first place is because of a tip i received about it being a hot spot for Largemouth bass. The lake is shallow with lots of good weed structure.

We also had no problems driving right up to the lake in a Van.

cheers,

P.

• 7 years later...

Sorry to dig up old threads but i can shed some life on this area. (i was raised on Axe Lake Rd)

First off axe lake has outstanding lg mouth bass fishing as well as sunfish, small perch and cat fish.

However you can not legally access Axe lake from Axe lake Rd. Its private porperty . You can access Axe lake off Yearly rd. It is wet but solid rd. I drive my lil toyota tercel in there.

The problem with axe lake is its a PICKY lake. Ive gone in some days and fishing was outstanding. A day or two later barely a bite. so most people fish 1-2 lures and give up.

I usually use a black/blue jig with berkley powerbait trailer , texas rig a berkley jigger craw, or livetarget top water frog. You also cant go wrong using a worm and bobber. I usually fish the far side, the deeper areas and around the rocks.

But there are better lakes in the area.

Bear Lake has huge smallmouth. Stocked back in the early 90's its got a ton of big fish. I use brown or green tube jigs and fish the rocks and islands and use a wounded spook for top water. Be prepared the lake also has huge pike and nice walleye. Its also got perch and rockbass.

The best lake in the area is Horn lake. Not easy to access unless you have a 4x4 and drive in the 4th consession at the se end of the lake. A canoe is best but a small aluminium boat in the bed of a 4x4 will work. Use HEAVY tackle. These bass are massive. Often 5-6 lbs. Ive taken guys into horn lake that have fished bass all thier lives and leave with busted braided line and busted rods. You will limit out in an hour. Its worth the effort to get into it.

Last.. Meadow lake.

Good fishing. It use to be outstanding but its been overfished by locals that bring out buckets and coolers full with nobregard to size or limits. Its sad really. However there is a few nice ones but the majority is 1lbs bass. Be careful if bringing a boat. There are dozens of places around the lake with hidden rocks. Its Black water so most hit bottom or tear out prop before they see them or fish finders spotvthe depth changes.

If anyone wants more information or even a guide feel free to contact me here or via text.

705 571 0946

Edited by Fishinbum

Sorry to dig up old threads but i can shed some life on this area. (i was raised on Axe Lake Rd)

First off axe lake has outstanding lg mouth bass fishing as well as sunfish, small perch and cat fish.

However you can not legally access Axe lake from Axe lake Rd. Its private porperty . You can access Axe lake off Yearly rd. It is wet but solid rd. I drive my lil toyota tercel in there.

The problem with axe lake is its a PICKY lake. Ive gone in some days and fishing was outstanding. A day or two later barely a bite. so most people fish 1-2 lures and give up.

I usually use a black/blue jig with berkley powerbait trailer , texas rig a berkley jigger craw, or livetarget top water frog. You also cant go wrong using a worm and bobber. I usually fish the far side, the deeper areas and around the rocks.

But there are better lakes in the area.

Bear Lake has huge smallmouth. Stocked back in the early 90's its got a ton of big fish. I use brown or green tube jigs and fish the rocks and islands and use a wounded spook for top water. Be prepared the lake also has huge pike and nice walleye. Its also got perch and rockbass.

The best lake in the area is Horn lake. Not easy to access unless you have a 4x4 and drive in the 4th consession at the se end of the lake. A canoe is best but a small aluminium boat in the bed of a 4x4 will work. Use HEAVY tackle. These bass are massive. Often 5-6 lbs. Ive taken guys into horn lake that have fished bass all thier lives and leave with busted braided line and busted rods. You will limit out in an hour. Its worth the effort to get into it.

Last.. Meadow lake.

Good fishing. It use to be outstanding but its been overfished by locals that bring out buckets and coolers full with nobregard to size or limits. Its sad really. However there is a few nice ones but the majority is 1lbs bass. Be careful if bringing a boat. There are dozens of places around the lake with hidden rocks. Its Black water so most hit bottom or tear out prop before they see them or fish finders spotvthe depth changes.

If anyone wants more information or even a guide feel free to contact me here or via text.

Now that's a first post!

Ive joined this site in hopes to learn more about other good fishing spots and types and how to fish for them

im mostly a bass , perch, pike and walleye guy but often fish brook trout.

Ive never been "Muskie fishing" but i have caught a couple. Sadly ive never caught a salmon or rainbow trout.

That said, i know of lots of places to catch fish but never had the boat or equipment to get them into these lakes to catch them.

i have caught small muskie in moon river , trout lake near sudbury ( owls nest resort )also tiger muskie in Peninsula lake near Huntsville off the tally ho docks.

I know of a few great pike lakes most of them again are hard to get to by boat.