Severn river pike and walleye and channel cats

Shloim

Ok I've been fishing this area for a few years now. I often have incredible mornings but can't ever figure out a) where the big ones are, (seems to change all the time) B) how to target specific fish (ie pike and walleye and channel cats). There has to be a way to figure it out.I have had no luck it seems ever cast is able to produce a different fish on those waters. I don't want to target fish that are out of season but some of my biggest fish caught were on set ups meant for other species. What I'm saying is for me there is no telling there.... Any suggestions?

Only ever shore fished it and only found consistency with the bass unfortunately - I've seen walleye occasionally caught by others, heard that there were a ton of species in there. The one sure thing is the one spot I liked to go to (been inaccessible for a while now but that might have changed for this year) was the blankety blankety blank snapping large turtle that was an expert at taking not only slow moving baits, but if you use a stringer for your catch it was considered by him as a meal served.

Michael

Edited by cheaptackle

severn river is very productive and has a untapped crappie fishery, electronics and paying attention to water temps will pay big dividends, lots of weedy/pads and stumpy back bays that will drop quickly into deeper river channels.

what excacly would you like to learn?

If you want to target catfish and eliminate some of the other species? Try cut baits, like mentioned or liver, shrimp, prepared catfish baits. Crawlers, minnows and such will attract a lot of fish that might have a closed season?

I have caught channel cats on lures, it wouldn't be my intended choice for fishing for them, especially with a lot of closed season fish around!

Don't know the river, it looks good in pictures, fish current breaks, eddies, pools. They will chase food, but like to hang out and see or smell what drifts by?

What I'd love to try to do is exactly as described successfully be able to go and target specific species. Its a great fishery and I've had days where I've literally caught 8 different species within 1 square km. So I'm looking for tips on doing just that. I'm a rookie and trying to figure out a lifetime of fishing overnight...

http://www.bassresource.com/fish_biology/largemouth-seasonal-habits.html

Shloim, it's going to be a hard thing to figure it out overnight, there are way to many variables, and up there you have even more species competing for the same food.

Try to learn all you can about the species you want to target, some prefer different types of habitat, water temps, food, but they do wander.

What I'd love to try to do is exactly as described successfully be able to go and target specific species. Its a great fishery and I've had days where I've literally caught 8 different species within 1 square km. So I'm looking for tips on doing just that. I'm a rookie and trying to figure out a lifetime of fishing overnight...

Time on the water.

my experience with Georgian Bay fishing for walleye is that it will take you finding the spots...once you find the spots they will produce...but move 30 feet to one side or the other and you will get skunked.

big pike? Read a chart and find drop offs with deep weeds. Finding the deep weeds will take spending hours on the lake and snagging them to find them. If you find deep weeds, you will find big fish.

Ok, we are heading up this Saturday for some cottage checking and a bit of fishing. My buddy although a solid and great guy is not well known for his skills at getting up early. So, I dont expect to be there much before lunch time. Im bringing a 7' MH and some nasty hot dogs that I will take out a few days prior. Im open to suggestions as it seems most of the advice Ive received has been spot on so far!

Thanks

Sheldon

Ok, we are heading up this Saturday for some cottage checking and a bit of fishing. My buddy although a solid and great guy is not well known for his skills at getting up early. So, I dont expect to be there much before lunch time. Im bringing a 7' MH and some nasty hot dogs that I will take out a few days prior. Im open to suggestions as it seems most of the advice Ive received has been spot on so far!

Thanks

Sheldon

make sure you are reading the regs and only fishing what you should be

What area are you launching from?

I will be very close to the Severn river Saturday as well. I will keep an eye out for you.

There's still lots of ice on the back bays in some area's up there :whistling: Guy still running sleds and quads on the ice a week ago.

What area are you launching from?

I will be very close to the Severn river Saturday as well. I will keep an eye out for you.

There's still lots of ice on the back bays in some area's up there :whistling: Guy still running sleds and quads on the ice a week ago.

i was just thinking the same thing, its been -15 at night up on GB the last few nights, not 100% sure about severn, but i do know that Pointe au baril is still locked up and guys are on the ice still. :dunno:

i was just thinking the same thing, its been -15 at night up on GB the last few nights, not 100% sure about severn, but i do know that Pointe au baril is still locked up and guys are on the ice still. :dunno:

I was thinking about heading out for Crappie one last time saturday morning. The lake / back bay that I fish had 12" of good ice 8 days ago. it hasn't been that warm around here to burn through that. There's gotta be 6" still there now...

Sheldon, buy a bag of uncooked shrimp. Set a line up with a heavy egg sinker above a fluorocarbon leader of 2 feet or so and a circle hook. Find a hole next to a bank in faster current. Toss it in and wait for the Cat to take it. Remember "not" to set the hook. Let her take it for a count of 5 and reel the slack out and pull up on the rod. Where there are multi species I have only caught Cats on a shrimp in fresh water. Unlike worms etc. you can eat whatever bait is left over.