2016 Ice Recap - Fun Season

Well, it looks like my ice season has come to a close. It was a late season, starting and an early season ending. That said, I'm grateful for the window we were given. I'd have gone crazy without any ice to work with. My main lake water was inaccessible this year, so I stuck it out in Kempenfelt. I started the season on the south side of the bay in mid/late January. The bite was good for a couple of weeks with some good trout put on the ice. Fishing anywhere from 90-125ft early season using a variety of swimbaits and crankbaits. As usual, I hit a slow patch in February and headed to the north side of the bay. Up there I found an unusually good number of whitefish with some good trout mixed in. Lost too many fish this season and will be looking for a new rod or two next season to better accommodate the pattern I was on. We still hit fish on swimbaits and crankbaits, but a vibrato did most of the damage, fish on bottom and mid column. Our best day was over 30 fish, our worst day was 0 and we had a few of them. All in all, not the best season but given the short window, we made the most of it. I put together a highlight video, I hope you all enjoy it.
Kelli and I are moving to our new home in Orillia at the end of the month, so since I've delayed packing long enough, even the float rod will have to wait.