Why do I feel like going to the Spring Fishing Show is like paying to go to Bass Pro?

Shloim

What I get out of it most is having a few manufacturers there to pick their brain before going into a store to talk with someone whose job it is to sell you something. I was able to try my personal reels on a few prospective rods while speaking with a company rep. Normally, I would have had to make a few stops in order to get that done.

Impact Baits had some great deals.

I went today for the first time in a few years and felt disappointed when I left. $39.00 for the 3 of us to get in with the coupons they had on line. I just found it a lot smaller than I remember, did it not use to be sections 5 & 6 and this year it was only in section 5.

I think that you are right; it did used to be more than one section.

It also used to be run by a different group. I think OFAH had a show there for many years. They merged with the Toronto Sportsman Show and then someone else organized a new show in the same location and time slot as the cancelled show. I cannot remember which year that was. But I don't think the new show was ever as big as the old one.

I think it needs to be put into perspective. Just like you're paying to get in the retailers are paying for a booth. A small booth this year was $1200+tax, not to mention hotel and transportation that is a really heavy overhead for them. I went expecting a day of entertainment just thinking about the coming fishing season, looking at some trips, maybe buying a few lures. I understand if you were driving quite a distance to get there it might be a bit more frustrating but for me it was worth the $13. Seeing a movie is an hour or two of entertainment and can be upwards of $20.

It's nice to support the little guys once in a while too! :)

don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the show. like I said, I got a new curado 200i PG which I can't wait to use.

one thing I loved was being able to play with all kinds of rods and reels that just aren't at any one retail location.

I especially loved the feel of the new G. Loomis E6X walleye rods. they are sweet.

but it was much smaller than the last time I was out (a few years ago) when Fishing World was there (I know Steve there) and other retailers.

JB's had the largest display (as they are very close to the hall) and I ended up buying the curado from them. no one else seemed to have the PG (5.5:1) power version I was looking for. everyone had the faster gear ratio models.

Edited by 12 Volt Man

It may be the same thing every year, but my soft water fishing fever is at its peak so going to the show is mental therapy for me. The Muskie Sunday is well run and I bid on a new Tranx that will grace my boat this season. I enjoy talking to some of the muskie nuts I know.

doesnt help that the price on pretty much everything has increased.

so not only were there no deals, but everything was like 25% more expensive

the musky show/auction was good though

That's yer low Canadian dollar...Some stuff is old stock and all the new stuff from the US is way more expensive.

Ok so maybe you guys are right on the entertainment aspect, and the supporting of small business guys is also a draw for me... I have a connection on gear so maybe I'm biased that way. Or maybe its just that Im cheap! Ill consider going next year... Good thread though

Sitting on the ice dangling a line through a hole isn't my idea of fishing...

Me neither.

Ice fishing to me is spending time outdoors with family and friends, enjoying the scenery, and catching a few fish.

My weekends off certainly arent going to be spent cooped up in the city, inside, with a few thousand other people. Thats more like torture to me. Id rather freeze my balls off and get skunked where i was anytime.

S.