Hardy centerpin

2 tone z71

I see the same reel on kijiji and eBay for 5-800 ,,,guys interested ? Let's talk I'm reasonable

If I wasn't already saving up for a custom John Milner bushing Kingfisher, I would definitely consider it. I'm in the market for a good bushing reel for my west coast trips :D

Aside from the guys collecting reels, there's not a huge amount of demand for a reel like that in Ontario. As Josh mentioned, it's a caged reel so side casting light rigs is definitely out of the question. I know a few guys in BC who would love to get their hands on a mint 4" Hardy Silex.

I know this is off topic. I have a Fran Betters custom made fly rod 2 - 3 weight, paired with an Elite reel. Fran Betters was a well known fly fisherman from Wilmington New York who had a shop on the shores of the Ausable River. I've only used it a few times, been in storage over 20 years. What's it worth? I paid over $600.00 US funds. Thanx PM me please

Hardy got bought out by Pure Fishing a few years back, and most if not all reels are made over seas, they will say designed in England by Hardy Bros, and are cnc cut

I have some original Marquis, that were cast poured, two #6s two #7s and two 8/9s, still looking for some originals esp Salmon 1 and 2s

In the late 70s those Marquis were 45.00 each with the spare spool 20.00 at the Old Outdoor Store

and the Viscounts were cheaper still

nothin like the sound of the Hardy Clicker

About right, think it was 74 I bought a 7 foot Hardy JET 4 weight , a 4 weight Marquis and a 4 weight DT for a 100 bucks I recall , when Eddie Bauer had a store on Bloor between University and Bay and when they sold guns and fishing tackle before turning into a yuppie clothing store. LL Bean, Columbia and Abercrombie and Fitch has all gone the same route as well :wallbash:

A fishing buddy bought a high quality centre pin when he was in BC on a job. For a laugh we put it on a 8' downrigger rod with a snap weight. Got into a 10 # Pickerel, wow wa weewa, smooth, smooth. Not in the budget.

I was once told that the makers of the Clough float reel had a hard time selling all 100 reels they made. A good number of reels went to the west coast and were used as mooching reels. At the time they were sold, they were going for $610. Nowadays a well used one in the classifieds normally is in the $4000-$4500 range.

It's amazing the history and markup on these things

The market on discontinued centerpin reels really fluctuates. The past few years, the market has really softened even for the usual collectible pieces. My first ever centerpin was a 3 3/4" Hardy Silex - I was about 8 or 9yrs old. I slipped and fell and landed on the reel - the center spindle was seriously bent. It's somewhere in my basement in a box. At the time, used Hardy Silex reels could be found for 20-50 British Pounds. Today, there are not that many fully caged centerpin reels that are still being made. John Milner's Talisman reel is the only one that I know of right now that you can actually order brand new today. I'm sure if you put your reel up on Ebay, you'd get some decent offers from the guys on the west coast.