Drill for ice fishing

JoshS

I'm thinking about putting my drill on the "Clam auger conversion plate" this winter. But I'm not sure my drill will cut it. This is my drill: http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=ddb181-02

350lb torque, 2 x 1.5ah lit ion battery's, not brushless.

Does anyone have any experience with a drill similar to mine?

Also feedback is welcome on the clam auger tool. So many mixed reviews.

Thanks ya'll

350lb is not a lot and your battery juice will not last out there. I bought this combo last fall just to try it as it was cheap. I took it back. Didn't make 3 6" holes on one battery.

If you want to go low budget, go with the dewalt 18 volt with the xrp batteries. If your going to be using a 6" your gold. If your going with an 8", the drill will work hard. I have been doing this now for a few years. Seen good / bad.

I now have upgraded to the millwackie brushless with 750 lb with 3 - 4ah and 1 - 5 ah battery. I have yet to go through 2 full batteries. I use the 8" fin bor 3

What is your concerns with the adaptor?

Also what auger are you planning on using?

Edited by Brian B

I use a Makita for my Fin-Bor III 8".

I baby it. I pull up on the drill and clear the hole often as I go. I keep the batteries warm throughout the day(Store in cooler bag with hot water bottle, etc.). I have (5) 18V 3ah batteries available to use but, I rarely use more than two for my purposes.

Every manufacturer now offers brushless and all now have bigger batteries available. Makita now has a 5ah.

Beware of manufacturers claims as to ft/lbs, etc. as there isn't an industry standard on how these numbers are achieved and most are numbers achieved while not under load purely for advertising purposes.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Brian.

I've got an 8" finbor.

Did you test the same drill I have?

Those Milwaukee's are sweet looking.....

If you have the 8" then your not going anywhere with that drill you have. Like I mentioned in my reply, I used the same drill you have with my 6" finbor. Only 3 holes from one battery. The dewalt one which is cheaper then the wackie, will do you. Like our member Mark above mentioned, you will have to cut a few inches,lift,to clear shavings and so on and so forth. Thats using the dewalt, not the bosch. Keep that one for home projects.LOL

Edited by Brian B

Thanks, good insight. I bought the drill boxing day, haven't used it. Still returnable!

I'm looking around online for the dewalt drill you're talking about... Is XRP the new lithium ion? I have some research to do...

As good a name is Bosch in general, their drills aren't near the standard of what you can get from dewalt Milwaukee or makita. I really like the dewalt 20v compared to my Milwaukee set, but that's kind of apples to oranges as I don't have the Milwaukee fuel.

From what I've read, 650lbs of torque seems like the bare minimum for an 8" auger bit. Kevin tried out a Milwaukee drill with 550lbs and it had a tough time cutting through ice with an 8" auger. Here's the video:

The fuel is a big step from that one Mike. It would work just fine with the 6" though. Kevin is the one that got me hooked on the fuel. What a huge diffrence in power. Now he,s gone and upgraded to the super fuel. LOL I,ll get one once I get feed back from him.LOL

Josh

If your interested, kevin has this one in the classifieds.

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80762

Edited by Brian B

The fuel is a big step from that one Mike. It would work just fine with the 6" though. Kevin is the one that got me hooked on the fuel. What a huge diffrence in power. Now he,s gone and upgraded to the super fuel. LOL I,ll get one once I get feed back from him.LOL

Josh

If your interested, kevin has this one in the classifieds.

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80762

Brian I own both Milwaukee drills. I use the fuel for ice and my dad uses the other 550lb drill for his projects around the house. Used the fuel + clam conversion place + fin-bore all last winter. Made drilling holes for my underwater photography so much easier :D

Are there any real benefits to going this route? By the time you buy a drill, adapter, auger, 5 battery's .

The drill + conversion plate weighs a lot less than a full blown gas auger. Not a huge deal if you're towing all the stuff behind a snowmobile or ATV. When you're walking 2-3km out in deep snow, ounces become pounds and pounds become pain.LOL

I've seen a number of power augers fail out on the ice. If the drill fails, swap the drill out for your manual auger handle and you're still good to drill some holes.

Are there any real benefits to going this route? By the time you buy a drill, adapter, auger, 5 battery's .

Try using your Ion or gasser, during the summer, while building a deck or other home projects. The batterys you can get online for sweet deals.

My total cost was just around 320 bucks. 12 months use.

Also dont forget. It serves the purpose to those that dont want the wieght to drag around and also dont want to deal with the fuel/oil stuff.

It serves me well.

Edited by Brian B

Brian I own both Milwaukee drills. I use the fuel for ice and my dad uses the other 550lb drill for his projects around the house. Used the fuel + clam conversion place + fin-bore all last winter. Made drilling holes for my underwater photography so much easier :D

The drill + conversion plate weighs a lot less than a full blown gas auger. Not a huge deal if you're towing all the stuff behind a snowmobile or ATV. When you're walking 2-3km out in deep snow, ounces become pounds and pounds become pain.LOL

I've seen a number of power augers fail out on the ice. If the drill fails, swap the drill out for your manual auger handle and you're still good to drill some holes.

Spot on Mike. Forgot that one.

Hey Mike

Remember talking about that wobble? Well I did have that, but it was an easy fix. Once you have the shaft adaptor in place and set, just tap it with a piece of wood. a few times at both ends. The bearing just need to be set in place,thats all. Mine is true, as true can be, :good:

Not unless you want to own contractor grade tools for personal use. I like quality stuff, so my tools are pretty decent, but I saw no need for brushless. I have the 550 in lb Milwaukee, but only to spin a 6 inch auger. We have a gasser for anything greater than a foot of ice. I wouldn't even bother with an auger adapter if I didn't already own decent tools.

Its really not hard to drill by hand you know. I do it all season long. No problem. Im usually done drilling my holes before the gasser is even started up too.....

Now, give me two feet of ice, and a group of kids to set up, and its JIFFY all the way!

S.

Josh

Take all the info you got here and do with it as you please. Since I went this route, I have not been disappointed. This will be ( if we get any good ice that is ) my 4th season going with the drill set up. Many whom have fished with me, and those even out there fishing when I start to drill, are amazed. Dont let those gasser guys fool ya either. I go all season with this set up. Have not had a holed drilled for me by a gasser in those years either. And thats no B S .