Tent or portable

lovetofish

Hey guys looking for some opinions here. Looking to buy either a portable flip up hit or a tent, we are pulling by hand, like to move around a lot and have a small suv. There will either be two or three of us. Heard good things about the Clam Corp Bigfoot XL4000T Ice Fishing Shelter. Wondering how easy the huts that fold up into the sleds pull.

Thanks in advance!

LTF

Personally I like my flip over better than my pop up tent, but I have a snowmobile to pull it around.

If you're on foot I would suggest a popup as they are much lighter.

You should also build yourself a Smitty Sled to haul your gear as it is much easier to pull by hand.

Have heard good things about the Clam pop up shelters.

I have only pulled my 2 man flip over by hand once (early ice) and won't be doing that again.

Thought I was gonna blow a lung!!!! :rofl2: :rofl2:

Thanks so much for your input, that's kind of what I figured. I'm pretty used to hailing gear to my stationary hut (propane tanks, heaters, gear, farm jacks, etc) on sleds. That being said, lighter sounds pretty dam good! Drifter, I know exactly what you mean about blowing a lung! Been doing it almost every weekend (as long as there was safe ice) for 4 years now

I have both, and most times, since I got the pop up, I use the pop up. More room, easier to drag around, and really, they set up quick. If I'm walking, its the pop up for sure.....unless its glare ice. With the sled, I will drag the flip hut every time.

The only downfall is if you want to move around. Then the pop up sucks. I hate taking it down to move. With the flip over, its a 5 minute take down and all your gear is already in the sled. With the pop up, you first have to take all your gear out of the hut, take it down, and load into the sled to move.....then re-set. If you can find one, the little tool that attaches to a cordless drill for turning in the ice screws is worth its weight in gold!

They are both better than sitting on a bucket in the wind though!

S.

I had a Clam2000 fold up and went to the Clam Bigfoot XL2000 and love the Bigfoot! It fit's two men with a ton of gear with ease (rod's, tackle, stove for heat, food space and regular seats) and or me and my two kids with what needed NO problems at all. It's not to bad to move if the wind is down and like sinker said move gear around. If I know we are going to run and gun we tend to keep most of the stuff of the toboggan. The drill bit is a GREAT adaptor for the ice screws but they (the HT one at least) will break in the cold. Still way better than by hand. You will enjoy the Clam products I'm sure

Yep, that's the one. My GF bought it because she doesn't like being cold, and since then I love the thing.

S.

I dont like being cold either shane. That fabric on the orange costco one seems to be of good quality. Now if they only made it in black, that would be an even better hub.

Edited by Brian B

I dont like being cold either shane. That fabric on the orange costco one seems to be of good quality. Now if they only made it in black, that would be an even better hub.

For what she paid for it, it doesnt owe us a cent. It is nice with the two of us, one graph and the buddy heater going I must admit.

S.