Cheapest and best internet?????

landry

First off - I posted last week that this site should be fishing only. Lol. So sorry about this post. And yes I now eating crow.

Anyways - I am done with Rogers - they drive me insane!!!

What is the cheapest internet in Canada that actual works well? need at least 550 GB a month. Basically we surf the net, watch some movies and use Xbox live. We r dropping cable period so need a fair bit of data.

Thanks for your help guys.

Idan668 - I was planning on canning my cable TV then calling back later to tell customer retention that I am gonna cancel the Internet and phones too.

Do you think that is why u got good rates or is it due to you bundling as well?? Meaning do u have everything with Rogers like I do.

Here's why I ask - I just tried to cancel TV but then they told me my discounted Internet rate would go up to 88$ from 48$ which means my bill would only go down $10 and I lose TV too.

I use Teksavvy 300G & have rarely gone over 100G (Netflix + Tunnelbear) in a month, not a gamer though. Teksavvy's customer service has been fantastic the few times I've needed to use them. One thing worth mentioning as Rogers has the infrastructure in T.O. your default DNS is through them, change your DNS to Google or Open DNS or any other public DNS server & say goodbye to Rogers for good!!!!!!

Check with Bell too because some places have Fiber to the Node (box on the street then copper to the home) and some newer places have Fiber to the home. If FTTH then speeds of 940MB with Unl usage are possible but for that speed and usage it's $149.95. If sounds a bit like I may know a about the stuff just ask who pay's me ;)

Check with Bell too because some places have Fiber to the Node (box on the street then copper to the home) and some newer places have Fiber to the home. If FTTH then speeds of 940MB with Unl usage are possible but for that speed and usage it's $149.95. If sounds a bit like I may know a about the stuff just ask who pay's me ;)

You'd have to be a masochist to sign with Bell!!

25/2 with teksavvy with 400gb / unlimited 2am to 8am. We're a shade over $50/mnth after taxes. We are pretty heavy streamers (cut cable a while ago) and never go over the 400gb, typical monthly usage is in the 150-200gb range. Never had an issue having two streaming devices on at the same time either with "just" 25 down. Gaming and surfing don't chew up a lot of bandwidth, streaming and downloads do.

if you really use 550gb a month then you are looking at an unlimited plan and you'll need to shop around. last i checked rogers was competitive on the unlimited plans.

Edited by Raf

I've had bell for 2.5 years now, unlimited Internet, no idea how fast, plenty fast for anything we do. I have basic satelite and a basic phone included. It cost me $115 a month for 2 years taxes in, and it just jumped to $135 taxes in 6 months ago. I only have this because my wife insists we have a 911 line for the kids. Otherwise all I'd have would be unlimited Internet. So far, they've been pretty good. Only had to call about my bill twice in that time. At my old house I had Rogers for everything including our cell phones, and I was calling them every month to complain about all the extras they would try and stack on the bills. I've been Rogers free for 2.5 years and went with virgin for cell service. I haven't had to call them once.

I've had bell for 2.5 years now, .........It cost me $115 a month for 2 years taxes in, and it just jumped to $135 taxes in 6 months ago.

Only had to call about my bill twice in that time. At my old house I had Rogers for everything including our cell phones, and I was calling them every month to complain about all the extras they would try and stack on the bills. I've been Rogers free for 2.5 years and went with virgin for cell service. I haven't had to call them once.

That to me means you had a 2-year promo (rare) and you are finally at the regular rate for the service. Unl INT as a stand alone service is a $30 upgrade, so you all know. So to me your bill should read as follows for that rate: home phone (light or access line), internet with unl usage added and "Good TV" programming and maybe a second HD TV receiver. Close with my guess? ;) If wrong you have a faster than standard high speed service OR Select TV pkg.

*edit to add* I don't o billing, just new in sales so I may be off a few bucks for a legacy account with old pkg names.

Edited by GBW

What do you use for internet if you're in a rural area. I'm with Rogers Seirra Wireless 5GB a month for $40. Try streaming anything on that data plan!!!

your options suck if you dont have copper/fibre (cable & dsl) running to your area. best bet is to find a local guy who beams a signal from a tower in your area. failing that, xplornet (crap), or the rogers/telus/bell deals you are currently using which have ridiculously low monthly usage limits.

Edited by Raf

That to me means you had a 2-year promo (rare) and you are finally at the regular rate for the service. Unl INT as a stand alone service is a $30 upgrade, so you all know. So to me your bill should read as follows for that rate: home phone (light or access line), internet with unl usage added and "Good TV" programming and maybe a second HD TV receiver. Close with my guess? ;) If wrong you have a faster than standard high speed service OR Select TV pkg.*edit to add* I don't o billing, just new in sales so I may be off a few bucks for a legacy account with old pkg names.

Pretty close. It was staggered over 2 years. I actually paid about $85 a month for all that at the start for 6 months, then it was $100 for 6' then $115 taxes in for the following year. 2 hd boxes, ok tv, which I don't even watch, and unlimited internet which we use all the time. Given the green light from my wife, I would dump landline and tv in a second. The ONLY reason we have TV is because it was cheaper to get a package with all 3 than to have internet and phone only. I don't even want the phone but she likes the kids to have a landline even though the eldest has a cell etc.

Oggie, check the Bell site, there is a "check availability" section for DSL. There is also a new LTE turbo hub with 20GB of data too that they recently just started offering (I don't do any mobility things to tall you a cost).

porkpie, keep the 3 cause more service for your $$ and its a good call for a land line when either kids or seniors are part of the household mix. in and around this time next year (with luck even sooner) all companies are going to "pick and pay tv" packages. $25 for the base and then add either 15, 20 or 30 channels you want for a set rate for the 'extras' so someone who doesn't watch much tv will save but they have to change the plan or the old plan will stick.

I advise everybody to review your service (with any provider) each year to ensure you are getting the best value for your dollar and it fits your needs. You have any sort of idea how many people say "oh I need unlimited internet usage for sure!" every day? then I ask them to log into their account and see what they really use over a 6 month average. Some of those 'high users' are under 100GB when they actually start looking into it... When I'm talking to people I tell them "great because I'm spending your money today so we can do what you want". Want's vs needs...