Whisky Report 11/29/15

ckewley

011_zpszd5fcwbs.jpg

Started out as a very beautiful day around 1*C when Bain & me head down the QEW for some river action. Arrive shortly after 7 am to a packed parking lot no biggie we head to the next one over. Start the long walk down, reach the bottom & the bowl is full. Not shoulder to shoulder but enough that with the space between guy's I ain't going to cram inbetween. Bain heads oneway & I the other. I've not fished Niagara a whole lot but enough & most days end in a zero column. Last year I broke that skunk finally with a nice Laker

2014-12-06%2009.52.21_zpsati0tsfm.jpg

But other than that guy I've been putting up zero's. I do however love going there as the scenery is spectacular. When they turn the flow on & the rapids get intense to the current that changes every second it is a magical place. This day though, as the tourist season is mostly over the water would remain low & would drop even lower thoughout the day.

008_zpsay0kuxaf.jpg

The little spot where I caught the laker I call my own. Only once before has there been another guy fishing there when I was around, might not be the best hole but fish have to move through it at some point. I cast out & a few drifts later the fight is on. A smaller but respectable bow would put up a great fight all kinds of aerobatics, once in the damage could be seen, Ripped his mandible on one side and took the hook deep to the gills, one for the fry pan. A little time would pass & I hook up again, this time a much bigger fish. Fighting mad he would dart into the current & trying to pull him out is a war of attrition. He finally dove into some rocks when I had him best or so I thought, snapped off. Not long after I was on again with a similar results. I would end this day going 1 for 3 but by far my busiest day on this river.

So what about the Whisky report, it's a bit of a running thing that I bring a bottle of something fishing, 95% of the time its a whisky of some sort. I see there are a few fans of the golden spirit on this forum & I don't profess to be a "expert" but I do enjoy it.

For those not in the know Crown Royal just received "The Best Of 2015" by one of these experts that has spun the whisk(e)y world on it's head. The one I'm drinking is not the winner but it is a very nice sipping by the river whisky, I think the fish agreed with my choice. Rather pricey though, believe it about $100.00 at the LCBO

002_zps0najnxxi.jpg

Cool post. The Niagara is definitely a nice place to fish or just spend time. Congrats on a successful day of both.

In regards to the whiskey, I don't partake myself but tempted to try again, I did hear about the award and that the winning stuff was only around $30/bottle although I'm not sure what size bottle that was for.

The lcbo at Summerhill received a skid last Friday by Saturday mid-day they were sold out again. The Northern Harvest rye is a nice rye no doubt about it but ive tried some amazing southern ryes this year that were more to my liking. It is worth the $32.00 price tag for a 26'r

Cool report, very pretty fishing spot for sure.

Myself, I don't prefer the sweeter ryes like CR or 40 Creek. I would likely enjoy Silk Tassel more than that expensive stuff but I drink rye with caffeine free diet coke, ice cold and with lots of ice.

I am disappointed to learn you are drinking while on the water, shame on you. :)

Nice fish man, i ve been known to partake and moreso for taste than effect now lol.

Straight ive never had better than gibsons finest 18 year rare but i cant find it anywhere now,

For a cheap option i like jamesons or wisers small batch.

For rye and ginger i like regular cr or forty creek,

The limited edition forty creek 3 grain was nice too.

Great report!

I buy Forty Creek, it is excellent and local.

:good: I'm liking their Copper Pot straight from the freezer to the glass. I'm a Gibby's fan normally and it's made in Oakville I believe...

I am disappointed to learn you are drinking while on the water, shame on you. :)

:rolleyes: