Is touching boats too close?

206 don't u know the only bass in the lake are under your boat lol

it doesn't say a lot about their competency regarding their fishing skills

fish cakes anyone?

This is so true. Whenever I go on a lake and people are coming off and they say they caught nothing, it never discourages me. If it does it means that I think they are better fishermen then I am. And I almost never think that. :P

I actually like when my known hot spots are taken on my favourite lake. Gives me an excuse to explore and find new hotspots.

That being said, my biggest pet peeve is on my buddies cottage on Quinte. He has a really nice property with a pretty sweet weedbed nearby. We can usually make a day out of pulling 5-10 bass and a few sheepshead out of it. But he has no boat. Often times, bass boats will come within casting distance of the dock. It's within their right but it's a complete lack of respect. We have a 30 ft radius to fish. They have the entire lake. Gimmie a break.

Edited by jeremy84

Manitoubass2, There is no right of way to shore fishers, it's against the law to disrupt the free flow of boat traffic.

206 regs say you must at all times avoid collision, even with idiots, actually I guess you could call it the idiot rule.

There may not be an actual law giving shore anglers the right of way but it makes sense as a courtesy.

Disrupting boat traffic would only be an issue if the boat is navigating a narrow channel. In that case I think shore anglers should avoid casting in front of boats using the channel. But I wouldn't consider casting off your dock on a large body of water to be disrupting the flow of boat traffic.

Exactly. Shore anglers have only a small area in which they are able to fish. Decreased even more so by the presence of other shore anglers and potentially property that they don't own. I agree with John, disrupting boat traffic in a narrow channel by casting would be frowned upon, but on a large body of water I feel it is the boat operators reaponsibility to 'share the lake'

Manitoubass2, There is no right of way to shore fishers, it's against the law to disrupt the free flow of boat traffic.

206 regs say you must at all times avoid collision, even with idiots, actually I guess you could call it the idiot rule.

Yep!

But according to some here you could just cast an 8oz sinker at them cause thats not illegal???

LOL i guess we were both in the wrong...

“the operator of pleasure power driven craft shall take early and substantial action to keep well clear of a vessel engaged in fishing, or a sailing vessel.

he clearly didn't lol

206, we are not considered to be restricted in our maneuverability to be a vessel engaged in fishing, this would be for large commercial boats.

I don't dispute that these guys were in the wrong but as the stand on vessel if a boat is going to run into you you are responsible to avoid a collision , (rule 17 ). If you make a very obvious maneuver to put some distance between you they should clue in that they aren't welcome so close, and it doesn't ruin your day. The important thing is don't let some clown ruin your day.

I don't think I would want to be in jail explaining how I killed somebody with an eight once sinker,