Birds and bows on the fly weekend

Joeytier

Spent this weekend in the bush close to home chasing grouse and inland bows with a friend from southern ON who came up to join me for the weekend. I picked a lake that required a decently long ride into the bush to maximize hunting time on the way to our destination.

WP_20151024_09_18_56_Pro_zps6pwxxujo.jpg

Despite having to run back to town after unloading everything due to both of us forgetting a lighter (d'oh) we still made good time getting in there and had a great morning of bird hunting on the way in, and got to watch a cow and calf mull around in a swamp.

WP_20151024_09_59_53_Pro_zpsif4jhsat.jpg

We dropped off our camping gear and got out on the water. 45 degree water temps had me thinking the morning bite would be a tough go, which proved to be true with only one fish hooked (and lost boatside) to show for it. However we did hit a mid-afternoon flurry and ended up 4/6 with all fish in the 20-23" range. The crazy acrobatics and peeling runs these fish make is absolutely insanity on a 6 wt fly rod, and we had an absolute blast!

WP_20151024_14_11_16_Pro_zpsvu27gox3.jpg

WP_20151024_14_17_38_Pro_zpsdpyeqjc9.jpg

WP_20151024_17_38_40_Pro_zpsp9r9e7db.jpg

Got back to shore to find a chunky grouse hanging around our campfire (sometimes it's just too easy) and had an awesome meal of fresh trout before the torrential downpour showed and seemingly stayed right on top of our heads for the rest of the night. I had a miserable night of (no) sleep, and when I woke up at 4:30 to avoid becoming an icicle, I used my decrepit tent to stoke up the fire. After a pre-dawn breakfast of grouse we hit the water for a couple more hours and put one more nice bow in the boat, before packing up and leaving. Had an awesome weekend for what's probably the last trip of the year for the lund before it goes to bed for 6 months.

WP_20151020_08_52_24_Pro_zpsakbpc8wo.jpg

Im always interested in hearing how the inland bows were caught. What were you using, and what depths were you targeting? Those inland bows can really pull hard, and I think they pull harder in the fall!

S.

I was using a purple/pink egg sucking leech on a full sink line, so I'm guessing about 10-12 feet below the surface. This was the best presentation, but my friend did well with a small single Colorado blade and a slow death'd worm about a foot behind. I got one fish in the middle of the lake (65 fow) but most were in 15-20 on sand flats. I find they will suspend over deeper water during the summer and hold tighter to shore/bottom during the fall, and I've caught them very shallow in the winter

Ive never tried the fly rod for them, but have caught lots trolling wooly buggers and leech patterns behind a small gang troll. I find the same depths.....spring/fall shallower, summer over deep water, winter really shallow....soft bottoms.

Also get them on worm harneses, and small cranks. I get a lot on the rebel cricket hoppers.

S.

Bit of an optical illusion with the birds. The 'big' one's laying flat on its back with the feathers spread out and the others are on their sides. Most adult grouse are pretty much the same size. I know people that claim to shoot the odd spruce hen around here but I've honestly never seen one.