Pigeon Lake - The Results

hutch4113

Yeah the main message should be... Great job on fishing a new lake and doing very well guys!

Brian - the reason why this is important and being debated is that if it is indeed a tiger, this means there are now pike in Pigeon - which is not a good thing long term for what is currently a great muskie fishery there.

Honestly, it does look like a tiger from the patterning - and from the large, rounded dorsal and anal fins which are larger on tigers than on muskies - but again without seeing the tail and having a count of the pores on the underside of the jaw there can be no clear identificaton.

Wow, all this back and forth over a bar or tiger. :wallbash:

Nice fish guys and congrats to all three of you.

NICE OUTING AND WELL DONE. :Gonefishing:

Edited by Fisherpete

Pete is correct. Looking at the picture it sure looks like a Hybrid but more likely a Barred Muskie. As has already been mentioned by others the real definitive identifiers are the pointed fins and number of pores on the lower jaw (6 to 9) of a Muskie as opposed to rounded fins and less than 5 pores of a Pike. A Hybrid will have rounded fins and 5 to 8 pores

At this time there are no confirmed reports of Pike in Pigeon. Having said that, it is probably only a matter of time when we will see them throughout the Kawartha Lakes.

Without positive identification it's tough to tell. If it is a Hybrid, it's entirely possible it has migrated from Balsam, Cameron and or Sturgeon where Hybrids have been confirmed.

Muskies Canada is still working diligently to see if Northern Pike and the unique DNA strain of Kawartha Muskies can learn to cohabitate.

All in all a great day on the water. Congrats are in order.

Edited by Tom McCutcheon

Answer for Captpierre:

One confirmed angler caught Pike in Sturgeon in 2013. At the time it was believed that this fish may have migrated from Balsam or Cameron Lakes. There may have been more since, but I haven't heard of them.

The MNRF does not net Sturgeon Lake as often as Balsam, Scugog and Rice Lakes so I am not sure how much MNRF data is available since.

Tom.

Edit: to the OP, sorry the post got off track a bit. As I said congratulations are in order.

Edited by Tom McCutcheon

I said Hybrids Captain....which also could have migrated from Cameron and Balsam.

I would have to check my records, but I do believe there is a confirmed Pike from Sturgeon. I will get back to you with my answer.

Tom

Answer for Captpierre:

One confirmed angler caught Pike in Sturgeon in 2013. At the time it was believed that this fish may have migrated from Balsam or Cameron Lakes. There may have been more since, but I haven't heard of them.

The MNRF does not net Sturgeon Lake as often as Balsam, Scugog and Rice Lakes so I am not sure how much MNRF data is available since.

Tom.

My initial instinct was that fish came down a couple of locks from Cameron/Balsam.

Did find record of MNR creel survey (obviously small sample) confirming they did catch both pike and tiger musky in Pigeon Lake a decade or so ago. Surely there are a few more of them now.

MNR confirmation of pike, tiger-musky in Pigeon in first paragraph.

file:///C:/Users/E.H/Downloads/264328.pdf

Had place on north Pigeon for a few decades and caught, targeted hundreds of Musky. Always were 'clear' or slightly barred(depending on sun angle) .

What struck me initially was the rounded lobes of dorsal, anal and caudal fin of first fish pictured in said report ie, suggesting tiger/pike.

The final fish pictured in report has the sharply pointed dorsal, anal, caudal fins typical of musky.

But whatever, at least attention has been drawn to a superb first outing on Pigeon by Tupelo.

Happy to hear you boys did well in my backyard...I used to try for lunge on opening day only...

A few years ago I was fishing the back channel with my bro-in-law (a panfish addict) for bluegills and we had half a dozen skis grab our bluegills...

one was the biggest I have ever saw...looked like a big log...of course we landed none...

A few years ago I was fishing the back channel with my bro-in-law (a panfish addict) for bluegills and we had half a dozen skis grab our bluegills.

That back channel is an excellent spot for muskies Norm and is always on my milk run.

Good to hear your day went so well and congrats to everyone on the muskies, always nice when everyone gets in on the action.

Pigeon is a big lake and considering it was your 1st time there you guys did very well.

If you decide to try it again next summer, the lower end is shallow and loaded with pencil reeds that hold a ton of decent fish.

Thanks Lew - I think that is something I will try next year.

This is 100% not true about Pigeon fish being all clear. I will add some pics of barred and even spotted Pigeon fish, I would say that my ratio is 50/50 between clear and others caught from Pigeon. I have caught plenty of hybrids and know the difference between the two. That being said, the one that Tupelo posted certainly does look like a tiger from that particular shot - but need to see a better shot of the tail and have a pore count to be sure.

I will do my best to catch it again (actually - Mark has to catch it) so we can do a proper photo shoot - :Gonefishing: .

At any rate - very interesting debate on the type of Fish - either Muskie or Tiger Muskie. Found it informative.

Would they still be shallow this time of year - or is it a timing thing (i.e. need to hit them when feeding)? I am very much a novice when it comes to Muskie, so still learning the patterns. From what I have been told, they will be deep now, and that is where we were catching them.

Well, after Trolling 6 hrs over MondayTuesday, I got shut out.

My red/white 10 in jointed Believer got thoroughly washed.

Not even the full moon could help me out.

50-52 degree very clear water

Boat winterized now.

Might take the canoe out if weather permits

Still lots of guys out. Including a boat with large "ESOX" on the sides.

Good luck Guys

6A5A97B4-6747-4272-BC34-8B344ACB9407_zps

Well, after Trolling 6 hrs over MondayTuesday, I got shut out.

My red/white 10 in jointed Believer got thoroughly washed.

Not even the full moon could help me out.

50-52 degree very clear water

Boat winterized now.

Might take the canoe out if weather permits

Still lots of guys out. Including a boat with large "ESOX" on the sides.

Good luck Guys

6A5A97B4-6747-4272-BC34-8B344ACB9407_zps

Is that Red Rock island? Have caught musky and lotsa walleye there over the decades. Beautiful picture of great part of Pigeon L.