Small engine question.....

Gerritt

Gents,

I have a Honda 4 stroke lawnmower... It's been a great little mower!!! That is until now.

Having a bit of an issue with it, when I was in hospital my wife's family ran mixed gas (50:1) through it...... It will start with the choke open... As soon as the choke closes (self choking) the engine dies.

I have removed the air filter, it's clean the mower will die without the filter on as well....

Is a carb rebuild in this mowers future due to mixed gas being put through it?

Or is there something I'm not considering?

G

Thanks guys, it has fresh gas in it, I tried a spray carb cleaner directly into the carb... Right at the point where it starts to stall, it will rev up when sprayed... But won't remain running once the choke shuts off...

I'll try the seafoam and a new plug next.

G

Edited by Gerritt

To be fair..... I didn't lend it out,

They were helping me out as I was laid up in the hospital for a month..

That said the big 50:1 mix written on both sides of the can should have clued them in

Argh....

G

Edited by Gerritt

Other than perhaps gettting a bit of dirt in the carb there shouldn't be any serious damage done.

Now, if it has an automatic choke on it (and it probably does) the choke would be (should be) in the closed position when you go to start it and open after starting it not the other way around as you stated in your OP (unless I am misunderstanding something). everything you have described leads me to believe that you have dirt in your carb.

Cleaning the jet on that carb is not an easy thing to do unless you know what you are doing. The jet is up inside the carb and nearly impossible to get out unless you remove the carb. Once the carb is off, you need to remove the bowl and using a screw driver unscrew the jet, even then they can be a bit tricky to get it to drop out of the carb.

If you feel like taking a drive I would be happy to show you how to do it.

PS. could have been worse; they could have put straight gas in a 2 stroke. That would have been a lot harder to fix :whistling:

Edited by Big Cliff

You are correct cliff, sorry to confuse lol.... Going to hit up CT tomorrow for a new plug and some seafoam.... Before I take in.

Thanks for your reply!

G

Seafoam is wonderful stuff but it doesn't remove dirt, it will desolve varnish build up and clean out carbon (which you don't have in your carb) (save your money and don't bother buying the plug, that isn't the problem)

Seafoam is probably going to cost you $12.00, if that doesn't work then If you take it in to a shop you are probably looking at a minimum $50 - $75. A drive up here is going to cost you maybe $40.00 in gas and we'll clean and adjust the carb, sharpen and balance the blade, change the oil, and lubricate any cables.

You have done so much to help others over the years, if you are willing to take the drive, I'm willing to try to repay some of your kindness.