Enjoy this last summer Long weekend

misfish

Big Golf day tomorrow. 9th Annual John and Fay Beirds Labour Day Charity Golf Invitational. We have this local lakeshore thing every Saturday of the Labour Day weekend. We have a dinner where anyone can come and the girls put on a feast. Corn roast, roast beef, sausage Penne, salads of all types and homemade deserts . Then the live band comes on and we rock it until the band can't anylonger and we put on the tunes on the PA system. We used to raise a few dollars to deserving charities. As we got older we all realized that some of the local folks that participated had or there was someone close to them that had a debilitating disease. So we said "why don't we raise the money and give all of it to them to do what they want with"? So we have for the last 6 or 7 years.

Our first year we had 40 golfers raised $500.00 for Heart and Stroke. Last year we raised over $3000.00 with 72 golfers and guests. The band played for free as their donation, I wish I could give their name, can't recall. Unfortunately the big guy (who played in the CFL by the way) didn't make it. But, when he was feeling well enough to travel last fall he took his daughters with him for a week to Cuba 2 months before he died.

This year we had a waiting list of golfers and will have each tee with 2 groups on them for a shotgun start. I expect we should hand over at least 6 grand , probably much more, to our friend to do with it what she wishes. People that are told they have 6 months to live have bills to pay just like us healthy folk. No need to worry about paying bills when you have to deal with knowing you are about to die and leave your family to deal with it.

I'm sorry I am rambling on but thought I would leave with food for thought. Maybe someone will think about doing something similar on a long weekend in the future. Oh guess who the MC is? I'm dressing in drag, Caitlin Genner ain't the only one to carry it off.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Big Golf day tomorrow. 9th Annual John and Fay Beirds Labour Day Charity Golf Invitational. We have this local lakeshore thing every Saturday of the Labour Day weekend. We have a dinner where anyone can come and the girls put on a feast. Corn roast, roast beef, sausage Penne, salads of all types and homemade deserts . Then the live band comes on and we rock it until the band can't anylonger and we put on the tunes on the PA system. We used to raise a few dollars to deserving charities. As we got older we all realized that some of the local folks that participated had or there was someone close to them that had a debilitating disease. So we said "why don't we raise the money and give all of it to them to do what they want with"? So we have for the last 6 or 7 years.

Our first year we had 40 golfers raised $500.00 for Heart and Stroke. Last year we raised over $3000.00 with 72 golfers and guests. The band played for free as their donation, I wish I could give their name, can't recall. Unfortunately the big guy (who played in the CFL by the way) didn't make it. But, when he was feeling well enough to travel last fall he took his daughters with him for a week to Cuba 2 months before he died.

This year we had a waiting list of golfers and will have each tee with 2 groups on them for a shotgun start. I expect we should hand over at least 6 grand , probably much more, to our friend to do with it what she wishes. People that are told they have 6 months to live have bills to pay just like us healthy folk. No need to worry about paying bills when you have to deal with knowing you are about to die and leave your family to deal with it.

I'm sorry I am rambling on but thought I would leave with food for thought. Maybe someone will think about doing something similar on a long weekend in the future. Oh guess who the MC is? I'm dressing in drag, Caitlin Genner ain't the only one to carry it off.

Sounds like a good time, and cause. We want pictures of the MC, not detailed close up pictures mind you, just pictures.....