Which to buy. Help Please

FishOn

I am ready to buy a used boat and can't decide which one to buy.

First boat;

One owner 2010 Legend 151 Angler 151 with Mercury 25hp 4 stroke EFI with stand up cover and almost new .

Has no more than 30hrs on the motor. Trailer was used only to bring it to the marina that's it.

$8500K. No trolling motor, but comes with safety and life jackets, etc. Senior owned.

or

2002 Lund Sendoro 1650 with 80hp Yamaha carbs. Very good shape but hrs of usage unknown. Two previous owners. Again full stand up cover and looks like it has been well maintained. No trolling motor.

$10K 5hr drive each way.

I am leaning to towards the Legend since its newer and very close to me. I know Lund is a better make, but 8 years older and 5hr drive.

Legend is rated for 50hp and the current 25hp might be underpowered and possible upgrade in the future.

Please, help guys.

Thanks

Edited by FishOn

The Lund - but the type of fishing you do, the type of vehicle you have to tow and the lakes you want to fish should all be considered in your purchase too. You can get the hours off the yammie easy - you will want to get a compresssion test anyway no matter which boat you buy just to make sure. And really, unless you absolutely have to have your boat now - you may want to wait a few months. Come October / November your selection is going to be a lot bigger - and that means better pricing too.

Edited by spincast

That legend is waaaaaaaaay underpowered it's their famous "package price" deals that have been doing for years .... I own a Lund and a Yamaha so you know what my decision would be I have also owned several legend boats we won't even go there ....by the time you upgrade to the adequate size outboard it's gonna cost a lot more .... Think about that

I used to rent a 16 foot legend with a 25 hp 2 stroke. The boat was way under-powered but that's the way the camp owner wanted it because of the inexperience of the renters. I measured the speed at 23-24 mph with my GPS. That was after the owner changed the prop from what it came with to a better one. It was a nice boat to rent anyhow, because it had front casting deck, live well, etc. But it really showed how under-powered the 25 hp packages really are. I'm sure it sells boats to people who don't know better but really I shake my head at all those boats that would be great with a 40 or a 50.

And as far as upgrading your boat in the future with new power, that is really expensive. Have a look at brand new motors, you might be surprised.

I can't help but think that somewhere between the two boats you are looking at is what you want. Maybe a 16 footer with a 50- 60 hp and a trolling motor. My recommendation is to wait. It's a big decision that you have to live with for some time. At least most people keep what they get.

And don't let the drive bother you. Expanding your zone for options gives you a lot more boats to choose from. It will cost you a day and might mean the difference between getting a "gem" and something less than what you want.