Really ? You didnt see me fishing here?

misfish

Ok, so there's a guy fishing your FAVOURITE spot. Do you go somewhere else?

I"ve been in both situations. If somebody is where I want to be, and there is enough room, I'll get to talking distance, be a nice guy, and shoot the bull. If I don't get the right vibe, I leave.

I hate when your on an spot, and guys get close too. I'm sure we all do, but none of us own the lakes.

Can't really win, eh?

S.

If somebody is where I want to be, I'll get to talking distance,

See, I wont even do that, I just say crap and keep moving. I hate it so why make someone upset.

but none of us own the lakes

Yup, I dont own the lake or the spot, but do show respect.

BIG DIFFERENCE.

Edited by Brian B

I will admit, sometimes it's tough to understand the etiquette and keep everyone happy. I'll try and stay far enough away that I'm twice as far as either of us could cast, although that doesn't seem like enough for a lot of people. Sometimes my boat drifts (and quite easily I might add especially if I'm in the inflatable), and I don't want to put the anchor down. Sometimes there just isn't a whole hell of a lot of space on the small lakes I fish on. What is the rule of thumb for everyone in terms of buffers around them?

And yes, I am fairly new to fishing in areas where other people are also fishing.

Ok, so there's a guy fishing your FAVOURITE spot. Do you go somewhere else?

I"ve been in both situations. If somebody is where I want to be, and there is enough room, I'll get to talking distance, be a nice guy, and shoot the bull. If I don't get the right vibe, I leave.

I hate when your on an spot, and guys get close too. I'm sure we all do, but none of us own the lakes.

Can't really win, eh?

S.

When you're a good fisherman you just go to one of your other favourite spots. :P

Actually I have a really good question for the community.

You're fishing (dock, boat, whatever) and you hook into something good. As you do, someone cruises by in a boat, pretty obvious they are scoping out the area to fish, but they can't see that you are reeling a fish in. Do you play it a little longer until they pass by?

Its bad enough when the guy does it once but following you around from spot to spot gets beyond what is bare-able. I hate people near me. Most times i just pick up and move on.

A couple years ago i had a guy do just that and after following to the third place i had enough and picked up my markers and lead him into an area that is circled by rocks with only one way in. Of course i made ot look like i was catching fish one after another and it wasnt long till company was coming... I can still see the look of the guy on the bow yell...ROCKS! Just as a lot of crunching and clunkng started. Problem solved.

Actually I have a really good question for the community.

You're fishing (dock, boat, whatever) and you hook into something good. As you do, someone cruises by in a boat, pretty obvious they are scoping out the area to fish, but they can't see that you are reeling a fish in. Do you play it a little longer until they pass by?

YES, I have mastered this while crappie fishing but when perch fishing deep water on Erie I will wave other anglers over to share the bite. Shallow water fish spook very easily, especially when clowns throw their anchors.

try hiding a big king on your line in 20' of water, 5am in the morning, just out from a pier head....all the while the days fleet of boats are cruising out and you don't want to show the fleet that the fish are in shallow...

my father and I have literally had 20 boats pass us and blast out to 100' of water while fighting a single King....

hide away my friend, hide away :) :)

My bro-in-law hollered at a guy that had tossed his lure right next to our boat...

"would you be as quick to steal my wife as you are to steal my fishing spot ?"

As it turned out it was Gus and Steve Jojos and they were trying to get our attention...our niece's husband had told them to look us up as they were making a show that day...They went thier own way and we had our best two hours of bass fishing ever at the spot we told them we were going to try...LOL

I dont like it when people get too close to me so i try stay away from them, even ice fishing cooks bay where people pack together like sardines i will find a spot thats minimum hundreds of feet away to set up my portable.

I actually love when people pack in tight with ice fishing. It's such a strange beast. I have had times where I have just been cleaning up, and 6 feet away from me, people are getting skunked. All I can do is laugh.

6 feet? Haha sounds about right. At the beginning of march we moved the permanent hut way in shallow probably 1500-2000 ft. from the next nearest hut, lo and behold 4 guys on one 4 wheeler roll up and start fishing not 30 feet from us... I was speechless lol.

thats what 1 ounce spoons and treble hooks are for :)

I was out 2 weeks ago in the middle of a large bay on a small shoal, sure enough a random boat comes up parks nearby...as we are drifting the shoal, the guy makes a b line right to where we were....I immediately started casting towards his boat to let him know, but what an idiot the guy came within 10 yards of us before he got the message as our lures were flying all around him.

Ive got in a fight over this once with two americans that were illegaly fishing the canadian side and encroaching

Not only did one guy get beat up but they both got arrested too(when they landed on canadian soil to start a fight).

Nowadays im older and wiser, anyone encroatches i just be polite and maybe make a few friends for the day, if not i just move.

Its not worth the hassle nor the stress to let it bother ya

Rubes.... Soooo many rubes... Hahaha

Brian i rarely keep anything so people arent coming over because they see me catchin, i think they just wonder if im on to something so far away from the crowds, not too many jumbos in 3ft of water if you know what i mean.