Rush Lake or Head Lake (Norland)

Rizzo

We are debating buying a cottage on either Head Lake or Rush Lake. I was just wondering if anyone has ever fished Rush Lake before, and if so, how was it. Feel free to pm me. I have fished Head Lake a number of times so know the pros (good numbers of small muskies) and the cons (new lower unit anyone?). I personally have never caught a musky bigger than 42 inches and scrawny like a hockey stick in Head Lake, but feel its a good lake for the family. If anyone has advice or any thoughts (ie you have caught a decent musky in Head lake) please feel free to share.

There is much better fishing a few mins up the highway than head lake that's for sure !!!! And it's very very very busy !!!! The gong show is alive & well there !!!! If you do go fish it during the week!!

I have never seen it busy. Maybe cuz we fish the cold weekends.LOL

If anyone has advice or any thoughts (ie you have caught a decent musky in Head lake) please feel free to share.

Caught an 8 lb. walleye on a musky spinnerbait on Head Lake. The Kawartha record musky of 45 lb. was caught there.

Weird lake, never caught a panfish or perch there. Aside from summer weekends it is quiet.

Caught an 8 lb. walleye on a musky spinnerbait on Head Lake. The Kawartha record musky of 45 lb. was caught there.

Weird lake, never caught a panfish or perch there. Aside from summer weekends it is quiet.

Where did you get the info about a 45 pounder coming from Head?

pretty sure the Head L I am talking about wouldn't have a 45 incher in it never mind 45 pounds

I caught one there years ago that may have reached that length, did not measure it, buddy in another boat took a picture, but I've never seen it, he said the tail was at my feet though. But like what was mentioned above, I remember the fish being very skinny.

Head, near Norland, is a good lake, multi-species, walleye, muskie, large and smallmouth bass, perch, but it does receive pretty good pressure, much more than when the word started trickling out that walleye were in the lake. Walleye used to be automatic there for me, but it's been a while since I have caught one. I have a buddy who lives on the lake, he still catches some though.

Rush Lake reminds me of an enlarged swamp. Very shallow; lots of muck and silt especially this time of year when the water table is at its lowest. Has a small deeper area at the west end of the lake.

Fished Head Lake several times and caught a couple of small walleyes and smallies. Again the lake has a lot of silt and BIG rocks. (Almost cost me a bottom end on my Yamaha)

Both lakes in my opinion would not be the greatest if the family likes to water ski or swim due to the rocks and muck. However there is a public beach at the south end of Head Lake with limited parking that provides swimming.