Gulp grub tails

captpierre

I've said it before in your posts about having difficulty with eyes on pigeon. Troll a worm harness along a weed edge at 1.5mph and you will catch as many as you want. Its really as simple as that. I'd like to hear why you don't want to use bait as well. Doesn't make sense to me, if your wanting to catch walleyes.

S.

. I have said the same things before in your posts as well capt Pierre !! Worm harnesses & bouncers !!! As water warms up if rock bass & perch are bugging you speed up a bit .... It's a for sure deal .... It's that easy

I use a 1/4oz egg weight about 18-20" from the spinner, where my swivel is. Toss is back a cast, and let out 3 rips of line. Keep tight to the weed edge, and troll 1.5mph....some days more, some slower.

I only use bouncers in deep water....15ft+.

S.

So you place a sliding egg sinker 18-20 inches ahead of the harness protecting the swivel/knot by a bead? I guess a bullet sinker might shead some weeds.

For sure I'll try this. Then a bottom bouncer for deeper trolling.

Always troll near weeds or are weedless flats ever productive?

As a general rule of thumb plastic or artificial grubs and crawlers work best when triggering a reaction strike. Reaction strikes are triggered when conditions force the target species to commit before testing. In other words, they get one chance for the meal. Typically this will occur where there is current, weeds, or when the presentation is moving at a fairly rapid pace. Put another way, live bait will almost always out fish artificial if one is trolling a harness on the bottom of an open body of water at 1 mph or less. In the absence of weeds or current for walleye the pendulum of live bait to artificial swings from moderate to convincing in favor of live bait until the presentation speed picks up to over 1.3 mph. At that point it may level out some, especially if nuisance fish are constantly robbing you.

FYI here is an interesting study done by Carleton University on soft plastic lures. http://www.fecpl.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Raison-et-al-2014_Water-A-S-Poll.pdf

Then I read this on page 9 from that CU report. "Interestingly,the Berkley Gulp! ALIVE! worm, which is advertised as a biodegradable bait (http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/soft-bait/gulp), only reduced slightly in size during the experiments" I think the operative word there is advertised. Are they really as biodegradable as they say? I'm not sure of the time frame in the CU study, but some of them were two years long.

Cheers

I love to jig but those darn worm harnesses are hard to beat along a weed edge in the Kawarthas or Haliburton.

Same here. I"d rather jig or jerk some husky jerks, but if that fails, the ole harnesses get wet. They always produce something....

S.

I hardly fish harnesses on most lakes, and its actually pretty stupid.

I dont think one rig produces better or more catches of most inland species then the harness.

I dont like trolling so thats apart of it. But once i found a way to cast harnesses i spent alot more time using them.