Who designates an area as a fish sanctuaries?

fishnguy

A very small lake I enjoy fishing for bass in the summer has a bay where a sign says "no fishing....fish sanctuary". That sign was only put up last year, but prior to that it was one of the best places to catch bass. I can't find anything in the MNR regs about the sanctuary, so I assume it's either a sign placed there by the cottager association or perhaps by the municipality. It got me wondering who exactly can designate an area as a fish sanctuary.

A very small lake I enjoy fishing for bass in the summer has a bay where a sign says "no fishing....fish sanctuary". That sign was only put up last year, but prior to that it was one of the best places to catch bass. I can't find anything in the MNR regs about the sanctuary, so I assume it's either a sign placed there by the cottager association or perhaps by the municipality. It got me wondering who exactly can designate an area as a fish sanctuary.

If it`s not a official sign nor listed in the regs I would ignore it....it would not be the first time a local put a illegal sign up....

The answer looks like anyone that puts up a sign can designate a sanctuary. I don't know how rural it is or if you are local but if you drop into the local Barber shop or pub you will probably get an answer. For the definitive answer I would contact the Ministry for sure.

Call your local MNR office and get the details or take a picture of the sign as well !!! Some cottagers at small lakes up north have even put up "boat launch closed" signs just to deter people even tho it's not closed ..... They will also drop logs across it to make it I useable !!!! On purpose ... So find out for sure ... The same type of cottagers that will tell at you for fishing in front of their dock !!!! And saying they own the water & the fish !!!!!

Just got a call back from the MNR officer. Great guy. Clearly annoyed that this sign keeps popping up by cottagers. He says there will always be a MNR logo and will also typically quote the regulation on the sign "as per section x of x act". As he said, "it would be a shame if lightning hit that sign and knocked it over or something." I share his sentiment.

Could be someone saw people fishing for bass out of season and tried to take matters into his own hands. Just another way to look at it. Ignore the sign once bass season is open.

Agreed, but that sign was there last year during bass season. There's also decent pike fishing on the lake, so some people (like myself) are out there already. Not sure how they would know who is fishing legally for pike and who is fishing for OOS bass. This particular bay has always been good for both bass and pike. I'm looking forward to fishing it when the season opens.

Typical response from a young hip hoppster. Deface property with graffiti and smash something up. I don't know about the Pepsi Cola generation. M2B2 yes I'm talking about you. PM me the dates you are supposed to come down to civilization. Like I said we might be able to have a OFC get together.

Typical response from a young hip hoppster. Deface property with graffiti and smash something up. I don't know about the Pepsi Cola generation. M2B2 yes I'm talking about you. PM me the dates you are supposed to come down to civilization. Like I said we might be able to have a OFC get together.

I don't understand this response. MB2 suggested writing on the sign to make clear that it is not an official MNR sign. Hardly "graffiti". To be clear, the MNR officer was not so subtly suggesting that if I get to the sign before him, I should remove it. I guess that equates to "smashing something up" in your mind. I don't exactly see it that way.

The Op said the sign is located in a bay, which leads me to believe its off private property(may be wrong here)

I wouldnt smash it but I would indeed write "not authorized by the MNR on it.

Whomever put it there can feel free to rub it off with one of those magic erasers???

lol at ironmaker calling the guy a "hip hoppster" cause he likes to "write graffiti" and smash stuff ahhahaha

The CO was saying that it would be a shame if lightning hit it because he wants you to save him the time of having to take a sign down. Go take it down and keep on fishing. Let the CO's do the license checking they need to be doing and not taking irrelevant signs down.