12 FOOT SEARS BOAT

jameshandz

Hey everyone I have a old 12 sears boat that I got when I purchased my trailer . It has no markings or anything for weight or engine size . I'm thinking a 9.9 but it may be to big for this little boat . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance .

yea the guy im buying off of says the motor weighs about 60 lbs. so all in all with two people(150 lbs and 105 lbs) prob 10lbs of gear, one 15 L tank and the battery . im hopefully going to be okay . its a small boat but atleast its a v haul not flat bottom

It would have to be a pretty small 12 footer to not be able to handle a 9.9 FS. My 12 foot wc-12 has a 15 merc, and hits just shy of 24 mph in ideal conditions, and trolls down to around 1.7-1.8 in flat calm weather. I would definitely opt for the 9.9!

If it's a 4' wide "car topper"... yes it will run great with a light 2 stroke 9.8 / 9.9. Will it be dangerous if you have limited boating experience... quite possibly. Just remember never to turn the engine fully... you can easily flip a 12' car topper with an 8 or larger engine. I've watched my f-in-law do it more than once...

That said, it was exactly what I let my then 16 year old daughter use every day to go to work at Temagami shores. A 12' Reynolds car topper with a 9.8 Merc, with the advise never to turn if fully under high power and she never went swimming.

It would have to be a pretty small 12 footer to not be able to handle a 9.9 FS. My 12 foot wc-12 has a 15 merc, and hits just shy of 24 mph in ideal conditions, and trolls down to around 1.7-1.8 in flat calm weather. I would definitely opt for the 9.9!

If it's the same one we had, it was as light as a canoe but it would catch wind like a sail. It had a wimpy transom with 1/4" plywood. I think I remember it was conservatively rated for 5 hp max. 15 hp would be fun to try on a calm day but not for regular use.

THINK IM GONNA GO FOR THE 9.9 SEEN A BUNCH A VIDEOS AND LIKE PEOPLE WERE SAYING AS LONG AS IM NOT DOING TURNS FULL SPEED I SHOULD BE OKAY . WISH ME LUCK AND THANKS FOR THE INPUT :)

And no registration under 10 hp.Good luck and have fun !!!!!

I fished on just like that for the first 25 years of my fishing life. You want a 9.9. I think they are rated up to 10hp. I tried a friends 15 but it was way to squirrelly at speed. It's too short and their flat deadrise makes th fast.