thinking of buying a gopro?....might want to wait NF

bow slayer

If you really want one, dont wait.....the 499 price is just for pre-sale....will be 1000 in a few months

actually according to their website price is good until june 15th....so that gives me about 3 weeks to decide for sure....for 499 it is a good deal,1000 on the other hand is a deal breaker for me.

If you really want one, dont wait.....the 499 price is just for pre-sale....will be 1000 in a few months

You will be taking a risk if you order it now. There is no gaurantee that the Lily will ever hit the market. If it never hits the market you will not be getting your money back.

You can pay $500 and maybe receive one in February; or, wait until it hits the market and pay $1,000 with a reaonsable assurance of actually receiving something for your money.

Edited by JohnBacon

When I first saw the demo a few days ago I thought it was pretty cool but kept thinking of it hitting into things trying to follow you. Obstacle avoidance would push up the cost for sure. The faq says that there is a button to halt the unit and hover if you feel a collision about to happen.

Would there be an invasion of privacy issue if flown over and videoing sunbathers or similar in the privacy of their own homes? I foresee issues arising but a cool way to drop 1/2 a dime. The inventor of GoPro was a panelist on The Shark Tank and was saying he almost sold out to Kodak for basically pennies on the dollar. He's very glad he didn't. Interesting young man.

Yes, but it would be less of an issue with this product than it is with a standard drone.

I'm missing something John. How would this product be different from any other drone? You're still shooting video or stills, and flying over someone else's air space.

Looks like a nice enough drone, but I would be concerned about the built-in battery (as per the specs page on its website). With the GoPro you can replace a dead battery on the spot and go right back to shooting (which is why everyone who has a GoPro also has a bunch of spare batteries). Does this Lily thing need to be plugged in to AC to recharge after 20 minutes? If so that would be a big disadvantage, IMHO. Csan't imagine having to plug in my cell phone every 20 minutes.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

I am going to give it a try. A bit risky, but worth it to me. As I understand it the battery is not changeable because of weight. Ideal? No, does it mean unworkable? Not for me. The way I see it is that whenever I make a video it is a combination of shots edited together. Even when I record all day on my gopro and place all my clips into my editing suite it rarely totals more than 20 minutes. The aerial shots will makeup afraction of the finished film, it will just mean the loose 'story board' i have in my mind before I start taking clips will become more focused and detailed as Iwork this new perspective into the project, 20

Minutes should be more than enough for oneofmyvideos with pre planning a number of shots.

I'm missing something John. How would this product be different from any other drone? You're still shooting video or stills, and flying over someone else's air space.

The Lily is designed to follow and focus the camera on the person who launched it. It won't fly over someone's yard or outside someone's window unless the person who launched is standing there. It won't film a scantily clad sunbather unless the person who launched it is right beside them. Other people or their property may be included in the picture; but they will not be the focus of the filming.

A standard drone can be controlled to fly over people's property to determine who has the best items to steel or hover outside of someone's bedroom or bathroom window to film private moments.

A standard drone can easily be used a tool specifically for the purpose of filming intimate photo or casing properties for potentional theft. The Lily is not as suitable for that use.

Edited by JohnBacon

I have Muvi brand camera that is similar to a GoPro.

The downside is that there doesn't seem to be any stores around that carry accessories for it. If you want to buy extra mounts, etc. then having a GoPro would be an advantage.