Best fuel injector cleaner?

ehg

Recently went for an oil change and was told my van needed a fuel injector cleaning (75,000 km).

So i asked how much more money they quoted about 100 more dollars. :whistling: So i said no thinking there must

be a cheaper way.

I remember there was a thread about fuel injector cleaners in a bottle, and one brand seemed better

than the rest, however i don't wan't to drive far or spend much.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

ehg

Hey peace man,

I went through the same thing.

CNC has a bunch of products.

One is called something like "guaranteed to pass".

However, check the ingredients. They all have the same stuff!!

Some folks recommend filling your tank, adding the cleaner, drive around till the tank is empty and repeat once more (depends on the age/condition of your vehicle)

Take your car in early in the morning too.

Good luck!

Edited by SNAG

Seafoam imo is the best.... add 1/3 can to your oil, 1/3 can through a vacuum line and 1/3 bottle in your gas tank... wait a bit restart the car and watch the carbon fly...

Sadly, you can't get it in Canada.... which is why i have a few cans of it laying around here lol

I'd do a double dose of pretty much any of the cleaners for 2 tanks of premium and run both tanks till she's dry. That should clean up the injectors a fair bit. But, one thing to remember, gas has a lot more detergents in it then it used to so unless you've been running bad gas, your injectors should not be too bad. The guys at the oil change place are trying to up-sell you so take what they say with a grain of salt. Have you noticed your van cranking more than usual to start?? That's usually the sign that the injectors are dirty.

Thanks for replies!

Looks like i'll try the better cleaners( Lucas) and do the double bottle

and run the engine on premium. No starting issues yet.

Thanks,

ehg

Seafoam imo is the best.... add 1/3 can to your oil, 1/3 can through a vacuum line and 1/3 bottle in your gas tank... wait a bit restart the car and watch the carbon fly...

Sadly, you can't get it in Canada.... which is why i have a few cans of it laying around here lol

Seafoam is good stuff.

And it IS available in Canada. Just hit your local NAPA store, they have the full product line in stock.

most of the cleaners don't really do much when added through the fuel tank, much better off with a proper injection cleaning method like motor-vac carbon cleaning service , and it's preventative maintenance and yes it's around 100 bones but it does work, had many cars pass emission tests after having a motor-vac done

Seafoam is good stuff.

And it IS available in Canada. Just hit your local NAPA store, they have the full product line in stock.

Really?good to know... i'm gonna have to check it out... any idea on cost tho? Looked everywhere for it, imported some and people have been asking us where we got it from... heck, even the place we got it from in the U.S. says they have a few canadians per month come over and stock up :o

Asked the service rep at my dealership what injector cleaner to use on my 4.3 ltr. Jimmy. Was told not to use any as it will muck up the injector and intake manifold gasket. So, I haven't used it at all! Might be worth lookin into before you run some through your engine.

HH

Not sure on the cost @Napa... I'm thinking I paid 13.99, but it may have been 19.99. Lots cheaper then the drive to Buffalo.

My local NAPA stocked the DeepCreep, TransTune & Motor Treatment. Packaging is a little different then USA version (has french on it for 1) but I have been told its the same product inside, just a different label on the outside.

If you are going to do it, I would take ecmilley's advice and have them properly cleaned and flow tested. I don't have much faith in these additives either.

I've had the service done at Rovan Diesel in Mississasuage. Took 'em out, dropped them off and picked them up the next day. They'll provide new o-rings which is a good idea as they tend to get old and crack causing air leaks.

I thought seafoam was a combustion chamber cleaner not injector cleaning product.

Edited by Raf

think we pay $6. a can in the U.S.... Niagara Falls, NY... no bother for us as we're there weekly anyways..

Raf, it's a multi-cleaner... use it mostly to get rid of carbon build up myself, but always dump the last 1/3 of the can in the gas tank. It's 100% petroleum based from what i remember so it shouldn't "gum up" or hurt anything... been using it for a couple years and so far so good... added it a few weeks back to my SOHC neon w/200,00km the entire valvetrain looks brand new now lol

Thanks for replies!

Maybe ill try the 'seafoam' if i can find it.

Or maybe i'll look around for good price on cleaning from a shop, when needed.

The problem was that i didn't want to get duped by the obvious upselling.

thanks again,

ehg

SEAFOAM!!!!! YES YOU CAN GET IT IN CANADA I HAVE IT ON MY SHELF HERE'S THE PART#

AVAILABLE AT ANY BENSON AUTO PARTS IN ONTARIO OR ANY UNI-SELECT MEMBER!!!

NAPA EVEN GET'S IT ..

LIQUID FORM SEAFOAM AUTO & MARINE # SF16

SPRAY FOG TYPE DEEP CREEP #DC14

YOU CAN GET EITHER OR FOR ABOUT 10$

WORKS GREAT! I USE IT MYSELF AND SELL AT LEAST 2 CANS A DAY.

TRUST ME I'M A PARTS MAN!

P/M ME AND I'LL SEND YA A CAN.

MUSKIEMAN....

According to the product safety data sheet, Sea Foam is comprised of the following:

1 PALE OIL 40-60%

2 NAPHTHA 25-35%

3 IPA 10-20% (isopropyl alcohol)

You might want to think about your piston heads, exhaust valves, cat converters, O2 sensors and other things down line.

Getting fuel injectors cleaned by removal or by a tank connected under pressure to fuel rod of engine is a better alternative to adding solvents to the fuel tank.

i put that stuff in my truck that only had 40,000kms on it and it still smoked like crazy and left a nice black stain on the sidewalk by the exhaust. cured the idling problem and made it run better. if you add it to your oil, dont drive your vehicle for too long before an oil change as it breaks down oil. you shouldnt use it very often either as using it too much can be bad for any rubber that it may come into contact with.

and yes it is available from many places in canada. i think i paid 8 bucks for a can from "shermans" in brantford. i believe it says on the can that its great for boat motors as well. :thumbsup_anim: