Power Pro Super 8

gaspumper

I joined this board 13 years ago and still remember the 1st thread I read was about PowerPro. I'd never tried it on my musky reels but it sounded good so I bought a spool and liked it so much it went on all my other reels too.

Never seen anything better and have never had a reason to try anything else....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have tried super 8 several times and the suffix and most brands and I still prefer the original Power pro !!!! It's on almost all my setups for eyes & bass !!!! It just plain works and holds up just as good or better than any other top money braid I believe !!!!! Yes it fades & frays but they all do as well and like bill said unspool it turn it around and get another season out of it !!!! Change mine every year or 2 !!!!!

I agree with fishindevil. I used to use power pro, then went to the super 8, then needed to respool and went back to the original power pro and remembered theres no reason to change what works well already. Stuck with it ever since.

I was working at walmart when they first received power pro, I setup the hooks for it and thought it looked cool, never seen it before and bought some that day, almost a game changer I'd say....I was immediately a big fan and while I don't mind trying new stuff, power pro is always my go to braid

the other 2 regulars I buy are nanofil and fireline crystal, usually for lighter spinning applications

i have power pro backing (and maybe even some old fins prt) on old leadcore reels that must be approaching 10 years old....

believe it or not, it still works just fine...i use that leadcore for kings and trout each year, as well as walleye...never have an issue with the line....

now, with that said, I don't cast with that line....

but as far as backing goes, it seems to last forever.

Feeling like a high jacker again but, anybody ever tie up harnesses with braid?

Do a lot of early season walleye fishing. Weedlines in shallow bays. Lots of pike around.

They saw right through 14 & 17 lb mono.

Thinking tying some up using braid. Hoping this might prevent being bit off. Wondering if it may be too visible.

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Power pro regular for has worked for me for years,and I don't change the line.Mind you,but I get out maybe 25-30 times a year but full 8-10 hours a day.Would the super 8 be better for a spinning or bait caster?Have two options,would like to give it a go,one or the other in your opinion.

Feeling like a high jacker again but, anybody ever tie up harnesses with braid?

Do a lot of early season walleye fishing. Weedlines in shallow bays. Lots of pike around.

They saw right through 14 & 17 lb mono.

Thinking tying some up using braid. Hoping this might prevent being bit off. Wondering if it may be too visible.

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Ive used braid to make harnesses.

It works. Seems kinda weird but it works.

I still prefer 20lb flouro though by a wide margin.

No mono for me I hate the stuff

Edited by manitoubass2

Power pro regular for has worked for me for years,and I don't change the line.Mind you,but I get out maybe 25-30 times a year but full 8-10 hours a day.Would the super 8 be better for a spinning or bait caster?Have two options,would like to give it a go,one or the other in your opinion.

Super 8 Slick would be better suited to spinning reels, however, I will be using some 20# or 30# with a fluoro leader on a Daiwa PX68L for jerkbaits this year.

Ive used braid to make harnesses.

It works. Seems kinda weird but it works.

I still prefer 20lb flouro though by a wide margin.

No mono for me I hate the stuff

Tried 20 lb. Sunline Super Fluorocarbon on a batch last year.

Found that there was too much memory. On several the snell on the bottom hook didn't hold.

Probably should have left a longer tag end.

I'll be tying up a batch for opener.

I'll make sure I mix it up a bit. Fluoro and braid.

See where it goes.

Thanks for the reply.

Depending on what you're fishing Nanofil on the spinning setup.