Question for the Hyunadi and KIA drivers launching boats

tb4me

Heres the deal.. Im looking at buying the wife the Hyundai Santa Fe Sport or the KIA Sorento.. Both are all wheel drive and have smaller motors.2l and 2.4l I think.. Anyway I have my boat parked up on the Trent river where I do 90% of my fishing. The launch up there is steep and concrete. The boat is a 17.5 foot with a 90 Johnson with all the bells and whistles. Does anyone think it will have issues launching and retrevinng my boat from the launch? I have an 08 Ram 4x4 thats not fun to drive anymore with the price of gas. It costs me aprox 140 bucks to drive 600km just so i can launch a boat.. With the new Korean rides they seem well built and reasonably priced..Using the fuel mileage #s they post it will only cost me 50 to 60 bucks there and back in gas.. That equates to me doing a TON more fishing then normal..

Ok now what one would one recommend? I like the low lease payments and great fuel mileage of the Korean made vehicles but I never thought for a minute that id consider buying one..Do any north american makers offer anything in comparison? I will admit we test drove them both and they both have amazing rides.. I was actually surprised at how well they were built

I have a 2013 Sante Fa Sport and love it. My boat is much smaller then yours so I really can't help with your launching question but I just wanted to give you my feedback on the gas milage. I get about 550-650 KM per tank. March 22 will be 2 years since I have had the car. It has 35,349KM on it and I have spent $4405 on gas. I have a log in the car and I just went and checked it. I hope this info helps.

As I said I love the car. Except for one thing. The blind spots are really bad because the side windows in the back are so darn small. I don't know if it will bother you or if the KIA will be better or worse. Just thought I'd give you some feedback. Good luck with whatever you purchase.

I have a 2013 Sante Fa Sport and love it. My boat is much smaller then yours so I really can't help with your launching question but I just wanted to give you my feedback on the gas milage. I get about 550-650 KM per tank. March 22 will be 2 years since I have had the car. It has 35,349KM on it and I have spent $4405 on gas. I have a log in the car and I just went and checked it. I hope this info helps.

As I said I love the car. Except for one thing. The blind spots are really bad because the side windows in the back are so darn small. I don't know if it will bother you or if the KIA will be better or worse. Just thought I'd give you some feedback. Good luck with whatever you purchase.

how big is the fuel tank..

how big is the fuel tank..

I have the owners manual out of the glove box and I can't seem to find the fuel tank size anywhere in the specs. I'll keep looking. However the most gas I have ever put in cost $72 and the tank was really low. So I'm guessing a 60l tank?

Edit to add this is the bare bones model with the smallest engine.

EDIT AGAIN. Just found it. 66 litre tank.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

I have the owners manual out of the glove box and I can't seem to find the fuel tank size anywhere in the specs. I'll keep looking. However the most gas I have ever put in cost $72 and the tank was really low. So I'm guessing a 60l tank?

Edit to add this is the bare bones model with the smallest engine.

EDIT AGAIN. Just found it. 66 litre tank.

so you get 550 to 600 km on a 66 liter tank..Am dreaming. Someone pinch me im afraid im dreaming..Thats a savings of 80 bucks per trip to the Trent and back from Brantford..I could actually double my time up there and still not have spent as much on gas as I do in my Hemi 4x I love my truck but my lot fees are right at 3 grand for our trailer per year. I spent a tad over that on gas last summer just going there and back.. So the cost of 6 K just to have the trailer parked on a watefront lot on the trent river and the gas to get there..Thats insane..Looks like ill be riving a new KIA soon..It will be the wifes daily driver too

Edited by tb4me

so you get 550 to 600 km on a 66 liter tank..Am dreaming. Someone pinch me im afraid im dreaming..Thats a savings of 80 bucks per trip to the Trent and back from Brantford..I could actually double my time up there and still not have spent as much on gas as I do in my Hemi 4x I love my truck but my lot fees are right at 3 grand for our trailer per year. I spent a tad over that on gas last summer just going there and back.. So the cost of 6 K just to have the trailer parked on a watefront lot on the trent river and the gas to get there..Thats insane..Looks like ill be riving a new KIA soon..It will be the wifes daily driver too

Good luck with the KIA. But I don't have a clue what kind of milage they get. I was referring to my Hyundai Santa Fe.

Good luck with the KIA. But I don't have a clue what kind of milage they get. I was referring to my Hyundai Santa Fe.

lol im an idiot..Was just looking at them before I typed my response..Hyundai is exactly what I meant.. I prefer the look of them over KIA as that seems to be the only real difference

I fill my tank in my 2012 Kia Sorento, I get between 600-700 per tank costs about 70ish to fill....

Much like the Hyundai.

You just need to decide which one you prefer. I like my Kia's 10 year warranty. I think Hyundai has the same?

Look at both and drive both.... They are pretty much the same imho... I do prefer Kias finishes over the Hyundai... But that's personal preference

G

Just to make you even happier. It will get closer to 700KM on a tank if it's all highway and your not towing. We have family in Sudbury....800KM round trip so I know exactly what it will do all highway and no towing.

Compared to what your used too...going to your trailer without towing will practically be free :w00t:

I've been using a Honda CRV(2.5L AWD) to tow my rig for the past season. Smaller boat than yours but I'm guessing around the 1300lb range. Never had a problem on any ramps, some quite steep. That being said I just upgraded to a Hyundai Sante Fe with the V6, no experience with towing yet though. AWD makes all the difference.

Verify the towing capacity of the Santa Fe? That stopped me from replacing my Ford Escape with one!!

Both of the vehicles he is looking at have 2000# towing capacities.

But I don't think that will be an issue as he is only using it for launching and retrieving.

I would guess if the OP had to trailer a long distance he would use the real truck. ;)

For what its worth look into what exactly the warranty covers before you pull the trigger. I bought from rexdale Hyundai my 2011 Tucson (used) and brought it in for a noise in the front, ended up being a tie rod (less than a month into owning it) and the parts and labour were covered, but the alignment of $80 was not. Also the passenger heated seat level high light was out, ok great labour is covered parts aren't

We just picked up a 2014 Ford Escape with 2.0l Eco boost turbo. Rated for towing 3500 lbs

I just priced one of those..Nice cars however they are much more money then the Korean vehicles..Its a shame cause I liked them. that ford lease was almost 500 a month tax in for 48 month lease.The same lease for the kia with more options was 100 less then the ford a month...Its a shame north American makers cant keep competitive.. Id hate to see what our auto industry looks like in 10 years at this rate..I save $4800 dollars over 4 years just by buying Korean, then so be it...

Edited by tb4me

Both of the vehicles he is looking at have 2000# towing capacities.

But I don't think that will be an issue as he is only using it for launching and retrieving.

I would guess if the OP had to trailer a long distance he would use the real truck. ;)

Yes sir you are correct. The boat always stays up on the Trent. even in the winter it goes into a community rec hall..If I ever wanted to tow it back to Brantford here id drive the big red Ram

My wife had the 2012 Sorrento.Great vehicle AWD very comfortable for an import.Very good power for a 2.4.Only problem was in town mileage sucked period.She does a lot of that.Now she has a Forte, not AWD :wallbash: but ok for her stuff I guess.I would think the Sorrento would meet your needs well.

Kerry

For what it's worth, I've owned several Hyundai cars and one Kia van over the years. I had a lot fewer problems with the Hyundais. The Kia kept going through cat converters and leaving me stranded. When it was running properly (which honestly was most of the time) it was a good vehicle to drive, but I found my Hyundais to be pretty bullet proof.

Just throwing this out there, have you looked at Subaru?

I got the 2014 XV Crosstrek, It's a crossover and gets unbelievable mileage.

The AWD system is unbelievable. It's only rated for 1500 pounds towing in Canada, the same car in the UK is rated for 3500 pounds.

For just launching I'm sure it would be excellent.

The mileage numbers for me.

All highway/country roads: 5.8 L/100KM

City /Highway combo 6.2 L/100 KM

City 7.2 L/100 KM

The tank is 59 L, if you drive efficiently you can get 1000 kms on a tank for a long haul.

I love it. I definitely go on a lot more trips because of it.