Some solo laker hunting

Joeytier

I've been lucky enough to get out fishing quite a bit these past few weeks, so I decided I'd snap some pics for once today since it was reasonably warm today. Working shift work = lots of weekdays off = lots of solo fishing. So I loaded up the safari and headed to my favorite local lake trout lake. The zone 11 lake trout hard water season is only a month long so I try to maximize my time targeting these beautiful northern lake trout while I can.

WP_20150305_13_30_38_Pro_zpsqkdohzbq.jpg

This lake is known for numbers, not size. I typically won't see many trout over 17" here, so I was happy to see this beauty come out of the hole...

WP_20150305_14_25_13_Pro_zpsb42761ah.jpg

Plastered right to the bottom in 80 fow (right where they usually are), I get another good strike that is obviously another larger than average fish...

WP_20150305_14_49_59_Pro_zps0z6omrnc.jpg

Fished a little more, then packed up and took the scenic ride home and bounced between a few lakes on the bush trails and eventually back to the truck.

WP_20150305_15_56_03_Pro_zpsnrtptsxf.jpg

And the ultimate winter prize...

WP_20150305_17_02_59_Pro_zps5hoprfkz.jpg

Nice outing!

Looks like those lakers are more into eating insects rather than fish. I bet they taste a lot better than usual greasers.

Last week I caught a 14 incher coughing up a 5" perch.

But one of the fish from today had a few pebbles in its stomach, which explains their bottom orientation.

Get the grill absolutely smoking hot, clean the grates up good. slather on a mixture of Honey, sesame oil, lime juice and sriracha.

Throw the fish directly on the grill skin down for 4-5 minutes....take off and eat the best damn trout youve ever tasted