Rooster Tail from Transducer

Last fall I installed a new combo transducer on the transom of my StarCraft Superfisherman 190. There is a 5 foot rooster tail it is throwing up. No big deal until I mounted my kicker, now that rooster tail is hitting the kicker and throwing the water onto the casting platform and into the battery box. Found an inch of water in there. That's not good. Should I lower it or raise it. I mounted it exactly in the same spot as the old Garmin transducer, used the old holes as reference. What do you all think? I say lower it a 1/4 inch, a pal says raise it. It shows the exact depth my second and third sonars show. Not a big job, but I want to adjust it once.

Thanks

Johnny D

Or it's shooting water thru the gap between bracket and puck. Mine did that on a smaller scale and nothing a good blob of black RTV couldn't fix. Hasn't let go in 8 seasons now and I can still click it up and down a notch or two to switch from running at speed and tracking canon balls.

Edited by irishfield

It is a Hummingbird. I never thought it might be shooting water up through the gap. It will be a while before it sees water. Unless everything melts in a few days and I will be able to float it off the trailer in the driveway!

Irish, what is black RTV?

I had the same problem John, I call Humminbird and they sent me the rubber plug. The plug was still a little lose so I use a little Silicone sealer to seal and tighten it up.

Problem solved.

Were you been bud, you've been quiet.

Edited by Fish Farmer

Wow, thanks guys! I have this exact problem and was going to look into it in the spring. I just contacted Humminbird and they're sending me the plug!

Thanks for posting!

Edited by manjo39

Sometimes just tilting the transducer a click forward or two will also solve your problem. Forward means the beam will be shooting forward towards the bow of the boat. This is also a good tip if you are losing bottom reading during high speeds. Don't understand WHY these sonar companies don't give out these tips for self installation.

I know exactly what it is. The water shoots up like a fountain. Had the same issue and Humminbird admitted its a design flaw. They have remedied the situation with a rubber piece that fills that gap. Just call them up (1-800-633-1468) and mention the problem. They sent me one free of charge.

Cheers