My "Smitty" Sled

grizzlybri

I agree with the others that I'd be looking to raise the sleigh a bit; but test it out a few times, might work just fine. Looks like you have a nice shop to work in.

95% of the tools in it are my Dads, but I have my share of my wood working tools and mil work tools. so if i need to make a change I'm sure i can find a tool to use

I use mine strictly when I have to walk. Thats the principle design use of a smitty. I have 2 sets of cross members, one shorter set to take my small sled, and a wider set to accomodate a fish trap guide. When I take the snowmobile, I don't really care whats behind me cause my machine has enough juice that towing even a loaded portable is a non issue mostly. With my quad, everything goes on the rack if there is any amount of snow. The smitty really shines with the narrower cross members and a lighter load. It's not the greatest with the trap guide on top, still much better than trying to drag the thing on its own though!

I'm not a die hard winter wonderland fan any longer. Back in the day when I skied there was never enough snow. I don't know a smitty sled from the steel garbage can lids we used to fly down the Hamilton mountain on. Emergency room nurses knew us by name.

What I do know is a class A shop when I see one. That shop is beyond nice DynamicBear ( Brian?). Who cares if most tools are your Dad's, they might be 99% his but possession is 9/10 of the law. When can I come over and watch you build my ladies new kitchen? That shop is the Bomb as they say , Norm Abram would be envious.

Would a " V " shaped blade made of a light weight steel i.e. galv mounted at the front of the sled help plow deeper snow away to the sides. I worked on "cow catcher" and many other designs with both Engineers and experienced Hoggers and Switchmen for rail equipment to enable rail traffic to plow through deep snow to transport everything from Iron Ore to steel coils in the plant. Some worked some didn't. We didn't want to re invent the wheel but with the materials we have today some designs from 100 years ago work today because they simply did not have the materials we have now. One wouldn't believe snow could "lift" a rail car with hundreds of tons of Steel or Iron loaded on them but does. Whether it be snow or light weight Metallurgical Coke once that material fills the space from the rail to the underbelly of the engine or railcar it will lift off the rail easily. Thus the higher the "smitty sled" from the snows surface the better.

Johnny D

my smitty I pull by hand

What happens in your hut, should stay in your hut. :o:lol:

Brian,if your happy with what you built,thats all that matters. You have been given some good advice on getting it up from the snow. Thats what I would do.

I can pull by mine with a rope,or can be towed with a sled or ATV.

My brain is always going when Im making something . Once I have it complete,I see another picture and start over or improve. Now that I have made my tow bar, I can see how I can make it even more compact. Im going to be selling the one I have and starting a new one over the summer months.