Maple Syrup season 2015

Rod Caster

Who else is taking part?

I'm anticipating a busy Spring work-wise, so I started early and today I tapped 8 trees in a new location (denser maples), I have 4 more to tap and my goal is 10 litres of damn delicious maple syrup by the end of the season. It's only my second year making syrup and last year was a scramble, but I still managed 3 or 4 litres. This year I'm a bit more organized, and I have some good plans for next year!

A question I have for the more experienced :Are there any potential issues with tapping too early?

I started tapping this week too. Sugar shack is cleaned up and ready to go. This will be the first year im ready early. No issues tapping early. A lot of the big sugar bushes start tapping in january.

It will be a couple weeks here by the looks of the weather, but better to be ready and get as much sap as you can.

Whats your set up?

I love sugar season!!!

S.

As soon as I see temps above zero I'm gonna start drinking I mean tapping. I doing about 70 taps this year. Down sizing from 120 last year. Jr got a job on the neighbours dairy farm so I'm collecting solo most times. We boil on a 2x4 evaperator.

.... but better to be ready and get as much sap as you can.

Whats your set up?

I love sugar season!!!

S.

Agreed, I was worried about a short season like Mister G is expecting, so this might be the only way I can hit my target.

I have two propane boiling bases, a 1.5x3 Stainless container I found and converted as well as a lobster pot for the final boil. I'll be converting an oil tank to an evaporator this year and clearing an area for a small shack. One step at a time since I have like 200 projects on the go.

As soon as I see temps above zero I'm gonna start drinking I mean tapping. I doing about 70 taps this year. Down sizing from 120 last year. Jr got a job on the neighbours dairy farm so I'm collecting solo most times. We boil on a 2x4 evaperator.

If you get a chance, can you post a pic of the evaporator/stove? I'm looking for ideas

It's good to be prepared but I'm expecting a very short maple season this year.

Ya? You figure Spring will hit quick?

Every spring is different, but it always happens. Better to be ready when that first drop of sap flows, than to be tapping while its flowing.

I'm not predicting anything. I'm always wrong LOL

I'm pretty much good to go. Just a few more trees to tap, and gear to clean. I just boil on a 2 x 2 flat pan over a propane burner. I do 80L of sap at a time. Takes forever!

Tapping in snowshoes is always fun too.

S.

Agreed, I was worried about a short season like Mister G is expecting, so this might be the only way I can hit my target.

I have two propane boiling bases, a 1.5x3 Stainless container I found and converted as well as a lobster pot for the final boil. I'll be converting an oil tank to an evaporator this year and clearing an area for a small shack. One step at a time since I have like 200 projects on the go.

If you get a chance, can you post a pic of the evaporator/stove? I'm looking for ideas

Ya? You figure Spring will hit quick?

Will do

Edited by lakerguy

I read an interesting article in one of the farm mags on organic maple syrup. The one major step that separates traditional syrup and organic is the way equipment is cleaned and sanitized. Non organic equipment is cleaned using detergents that are food grade safe and rinsed with hot water,where organic equipment is cleaned with fermented sap. As sap ages,it turns into a vinegar like liquid. Making a great cleaner then rinsed with hot water.

Sitting on the fence this year as I have travel plans the first week of April and may pass this year as a result. It would be my first missed year in 11 years. I have lots of stock so it may not be a huge concern. If I can recruit a sap collector for a week then I will start tapping this coming weekend.

syrup.jpg

Im also away the first week of april. Kinda sucks, but we got a screaming deal for that week. Im hoping I can get a couple boils done before then...we'll see. My neighbour helps me when im not around, so its all gonna get boiled regardless.

S.

I read an interesting article in one of the farm mags on organic maple syrup. The one major step that separates traditional syrup and organic is the way equipment is cleaned and sanitized. Non organic equipment is cleaned using detergents that are food grade safe and rinsed with hot water,where organic equipment is cleaned with fermented sap. As sap ages,it turns into a vinegar like liquid. Making a great cleaner then rinsed with hot water.

Organic producers can use vinegar or fermented sap to clean up at the end of the season. During boiling season only water can be used. There are a few other requirements that seem a little overkill for a hobby boiler like myself. The end product that I produce is pretty organic compared to other foods. More info here:

http://www.acadianmaple.com/blogs/maple-syrup-blog/4852352-what-is-the-difference-between-organic-and-non-organic-maple-syrup

I'm stuck in the city pulling my hair out.

Took the dog for a walk this sunny afternoon and said to my wife "damn, I bet the saps flowing"

Enjoy it Shane, a great time of the year, post some pics

Edited by chris.brock