Maple Syrup season 2015

Rod Caster

I only really need help with filtering, and sometimes bottling....and of course clean up. Its been mostly time constrraints, and ran outta propane for some reason on the first batch.

Almost done the second batch now.

S.

This thread has got me thinking. I've always been curious about the process but know very little about it. I have 3 large sugar maples on my property...roughly how many trees do you need to tap to make a litre of syrup?

If there sugar maples you can probably count on close to 1L per tap of maple syrup. Could be less could be more. Depends on how fast spring comes in. If the temps start staying above freezing and the days get real warm the tree starts using that sap up for the buds and the sap quality goes down hill fast.

Edited by lakerguy

This thread has got me thinking. I've always been curious about the process but know very little about it. I have 3 large sugar maples on my property...roughly how many trees do you need to tap to make a litre of syrup?

Get yourself some taps and buckets and make some syrup! It's very rewarding knowing you made it. There's enough of us on here to give you some advice gladly.

Edited by lakerguy

Get yourself some taps and buckets and make some syrup! It's very rewarding knowing you made it. There's enough of us on here to give you some advice gladly.

Well that settles it...bought 4 pails today and just tapped my trees. Hopefully not too late, can't wait to see what happens!

That pan is nice! Mine isn't ideal but it was only $20

I had it made by a friend 10 years ago and it has boiled down a lot of sap. He also made a cart with a shelf for the burner and wheels. Although you're not moving it when it's full of sap. Doesn't matter what you use, there are setups from people on here that look awesome. What matters is you're doing something that has been done for numerous generations and you're getting the satisfaction in the end that you made it yourself.

When I first started I had a few kids "help" out and they enjoyed the experience. These same kids are now 14 - 18 years old and they call me each spring and ask when are we tapping trees and when are we boiling.

A bit of advice/feedback needed here:

A few of my taps are leaking below the spile, dripping down the bark. I'm still getting some sap, but not all of it. I kind of 'winged' it by using the largest drill bit I had, but it's not really the proper size. I assume that my holes are either too big of too small, or even too deep...?? Should I stop being a cheap bugger and buy a dedicated bit? What size?

7/16 is the universal size for spigots and tubes as well. buy a good one. ya cheap bugger lol tap in 1 1/2" and make sure its secure - but the leakage happens, sometimes if you drive it in too deep as well, a small crack under it will facilitate leakage.. (crap.. thats sounded like expert advice lol)

7/16 is the universal size for spigots and tubes as well. buy a good one. ya cheap bugger lol tap in 1 1/2" and make sure its secure - but the leakage happens, sometimes if you drive it in too deep as well, a small crack under it will facilitate leakage.. (crap.. thats sounded like expert advice lol)

Right on, thanks.

Do you find you have to hammer them in pretty hard, or do they just fit snug?